Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compaq System Restore

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 PM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:47 PM

There's a mile-long thread in this forum about my problems with a six year-old Compaq 7465. Many have helped, especially "Leurgy" who has been a saint, investing much time and patience in obtaining some significant improvements. But there still are vexing problems with startup, probably with the registers, and who knows what else when it gets to the point where Ad-Aware and Spybot are installed and start lifting rocks.

So before I wear out my welcome here, I'm asking any and all to give me a clue about the merits of simply using Compaq's System Restore CD's (which I have) that supposedly put the puter back to where it was when it left the Costco warehouse. I've burned backups of all my important data, favorites/bookmarks, and have the original installation CD's for printer, scanner, etc. My cable ISP tells me they will give me 1-800 help reconnecting to internet and then it's just a matter of downloading and installing AVG, a firewall, and other software such as MusicMatch. Am I naive in thinking this will give me a "virgin" machine in trade for a few hours of work? If I'm not seeing something here, yell at me real loud! I trust you folks, not so sure about Compaq.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 11:07 PM

It aint like its going to make your pc any better than it was the day you got it. I mean in speed. You might get more speed and prob more HD space.

I would go for it. I did it on mine and it does a full formatt on your HD and sets it back to factory settings. Might take a day or two to get all your files back on but its worth it.

Sorry to hear you are having trouble!

Have a Merry ChristMas!

#3 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:13 AM

Hi twinsdad.
I've watched your issues a bit along the way and am very sorry to hear about all your troubles.
I am definitely in favor of using those disks.
Might I add some advice?
Most <A TITLE="Click for more information about computers" STYLE="text-decoration: none; border-bottom: medium solid green;" HREF="http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||computers|AA1VDw">computers</A> come with little help guides and such and can be found right in your Start Menu. Try to locate directions on using those disks.
I've restored my computer using the disks that came with it when I purchased it before I knew about the built in 'System Restore' option. I don't know enough about computers to say they all work the same in Restoring regards.
But, in case you don't find any information on the instructions, I believe standard procedure is to have your computer on, placing in the first disk (hopefully yours are numbered) of either 'system' or 'applications' in the main hard drive, immediately shut down the computer, wait 15 minutes, then turn it on (boot up). It will instantly take you step by step.
JUSTINCASE (my favorite word lately) please let Grinler or Cryo or another moderator/administrator advise you before beginning the process.
Good luck and let us know how it all turns out.
I am positive you'll be happier when it's done.

~67~

P.S. You are not naive at all. Restoring your system will do just that. It will be just like the day you bought it. You're considering the right thing. And you've taken all the right steps up to this point. I can't yell really loud except to say "DON'T WORRY, I THINK IT'S THE BEST DECISION!" :thumbsup:

Edited by TexasAngel67, 24 December 2004 - 07:16 AM.

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:23 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 12:22 PM

One thing I would like to add. It is true that your restore CDs will revert the computer back to original programming and specs. You are correct in saying that you will have to put your personal information back on like your favorites and such, which you have already prepared for with the backups. The one concern is that if any additional hardware has been added by you, it is advisable that you remove them before you start the restore procedure. This includes, but not limited to; memory card readers (unless it is attached as part of the computer case), webcams, external mics, UPS devices, and broadband modems. You do not have to uninstall the drivers, just make sure they are not plugged in when you turn the computer back on. The idea is to not plug them in, until the restore procedure is finished. After it is complete, plug the devices back in and install them one at a time. Recommended that you do the modem last. You may even want to install SP2 (if you already have it), before you do any of the devices.
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 01:13 PM

You are neither outwearing your welcome nor being niave. Many computer experts will recommend doing a fresh install every year to two; the benefits seem to outweight the time it takes to reinstall all those applications, etc. A new install seems to make the computer work better, and you also have the option to re-examine whether you really need all those things you have installed over the years.
The long weekend might be a perfect time to give yourself a little present.......
Best regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 24 December 2004 - 02:49 PM

Long thread, twinsdad? To express yourself well, and the others also, seems to require it.
I'm not known for brevity, unless the issue is cut & dried. One answer.

I re-install every 90 days or so.
I find it enjoyable to some degree knowing I have a fresh start.
I can pick & choose what goes back on the OS,
and also when & where I put it each time.
I learn by watching the process tell me what is right, or what might be wrong.
The experiences also reinforce the fact that quite a bit of what accumulates on the PC is not needed.
In fact, quite a lot that gets installed with the OS isn't needed on my PC the way I use it, either.
Eventually I learn about it, the services I require, the way they inter-relate to the registry.
Stuff like that.

I encourage you to do the same. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#7 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 03:40 PM

Thats good advice all around. Does your Compaq Manual have any info on this?

I did a quick search on Yahoo and found this page that has brief instructions. The quick restore should work for you. Or you could do the Full Restore.

That page that talks about Full Restore (thats what I would do) mentions going into the Bios to set the machine to boot from the CD. Any Compaq I have seen needs to be booted from a floppy that came with the machine to go into the Bios called the System Configuration Utility? I'm not sure what the name of it is. Maybe somebody thats lurking around this thread and has a Compaq can tell you about that process. Or how to get into the bios if I'm wrong about that.

Those instructions also say "System will now restore. When finished you will be prompted to reboot, remove the restore CD and press enter". That is very important as if you don't do this then it will start all over again.

The only thing that I'd like to add is that as Windows Setup is run, you will occasionaly be asked to make a choice about something. Just go with the default already chosen. You can make changes if neccessary later.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 04:29 PM

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. I also Goggle searched and came up with pretty much the same things Leurgy linked to. I'm really frightened to mess around in BIOS. The printed info that came packed with the two Compaq restore CD's (they are numbered 1 & 2) says to do the following:

(1) Ensure your PC is turned on and Windows is running. (2) Insert the first CD into the drive and restart computer by twice pressing Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Your computer will restart. (3) Read through each screen carefully and press Enter to continue or press Esc to exit. The CD will reformat your hard drive and will begin installing the original components of your PC. You will be prompted to insert CD #2 during the installation. You will also be prompted to reinsert CD #1 after CD #2 is complete. (4) When the process is complete the CD will eject. Remove CD and close the drive door, then press Enter. Your computer will automatically restart and install drivers and other software for all hardware devices. It will then be necessary to restart again to complete the process.

I think that I will adhere to those instructions, after following Jason's suggestions to physically disconnect the printer and modem, my only exterior attachments other than the monitor.

I'll keep lurking here for awhile just to see if any further suggestions develop, then jump into this after the kids are asleep. Whatever the outcome, you folks have been very kind. Merry Christmas to all of you!
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#9 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:35 PM

Don't sweat it, its easy.

One thing comes to mind. Put CD #2 in the drive and look at the contents in Windows Explorer. If CD#2 is no good then your dead in the water.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#10 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 07:54 PM

Leurgy: Can you give me a step-by-step on "looking" at a CD using WE and how would this klutz know if CD #2 was "no good"...or said differently, what should I see?

#11 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:02 PM

And for all Compaq Presario owners, HP/Compaq on-line assistance is telling me to reset my BIOS to "default" conditions before starting the restore process. (I've asked why, but no answer yet). They've given me a detailed procedure for doing that which begins using the F-10 key during startup (sort of like using the F-8 key to get into Safe...which doesn't work on my critter but what do I know anyway!).

And of perhaps more interest, their detailed procedure on completing the restore process did not mention anything about disconnecting things like printers & exterior cable modems. When I went back and asked about that, the response was something like "Oh yeah, that's important, don't forget to do that". Hat tip to BC's Jason on that one, but how confident can I be of their other advice after that embarrassing omission?

I'm gonna fuss myself into a puddle of goo before this is over, just watch. :thumbsup:

#12 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 24 December 2004 - 08:27 PM

Naw, no goo puddle for you.

You're doing just fine. And a lot of us are learning from your experiences too!

Endeavor to persevere....

regards,
~Koan

:thumbsup:
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#13 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 24 December 2004 - 10:06 PM

Leurgy: Re your previous post, maybe I figured out what you meant. I opened WE, highlighted Drive E (my CD spinner), put in one of the backup discs I had just burned and up popped a list of what it found in there! Amazing! Then I put in QuickRestore disc #2 and it showed a surprisingly few items, none recognizible to me, but no indication of a problem. Did I do good? Should I try this with Restore disc #1 or might that start WWIII?

#14 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 02:52 AM

"I'm gonna fuss myself into a puddle of goo before this is over, just watch"

Well, we can't be havin that. Last time I saw that happening to somebody, was when Data was forced to use a Disrupter that had been banned by the Federation as a Restricted Weapon. And it wasn't pretty. Geeeeeez.

Relax. Doing things like this to your computer is not Rocket Science. However in a professional situation, say a bunch of network nerds hunkered down over a bright computer screen with the lights turned off in the back going "Holy cow, now what are we going to do?", now thats trouble!

Just go for it man. Afterwards:

First thing you do when you go on the web is Windows Update right? You now have to catch up on six years worth of Critical Updates. VERY important. Ideally you have downloaded ZoneAlarm 5 (the freebie and you have installed it BEFORE you connect to the web, AFTER the re-install). Place ZA5.exe or whatever its called on your D: drive when you download it and run it after Windows has finished getting it back together. Try to illicit a promise that this will never happen again. :thumbsup:

#15 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2004 - 05:24 AM

"Leurgy: Re your previous post, maybe I figured out what you meant. I opened WE, highlighted Drive E (my CD spinner), put in one of the backup discs I had just burned and up popped a list of what it found in there! Amazing! Then I put in QuickRestore disc #2 and it showed a surprisingly few items, none recognizible to me, but no indication of a problem. Did I do good? Should I try this with Restore disc #1 or might that start WWIII?

Yeah you did good. But I thought you had been doing that all along.

If you can see the contents of a CD in Windows Explorer its a good one but errors can occur when you try to work that CD (use it to program)

Windows Explorer is there so you can manage your files. Now go find System.ini What about the mysterious D: drive? Whats on that?
Just list the folders.

"Should I try this with Restore disc #1 or might that start WWIII?" It might try to start the restore as soon as Cd#1 starts spinnin (called Autorun) but just click cancel and go back into WE to see whats on that.

Thats how you look at a CD's files. Or any files really. You can drap and drop in there (copy files from one place to another) in three mouse clicks. A whole Hard Dive if you want.

Off to check my email. Its Christmas morning and if they don't wake up in the next 15 minutes.............
I'm gonna start without them.

Edited by Leurgy, 25 December 2004 - 06:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users