Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Start In Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ministe2003

ministe2003

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hi

today i tried starting up in safe mode but to no avail.
I went to msconfig, chose /SAFEBOOT from the boot.ini tab and restarted when prompted.
however when my pc restarts and i get asked to click yes to remain in safe mode or click no to use system restore, and i click yes to remain in safe mode, nothing loads.

I have the usual writing around the top and bottom of the display (saying safe mode and my system details) but nothing else loads, no icons, no taskbar, no explorer.

I went to Options>Run in Task Manager and manually started the explorer.exe process. I again clicked yes when asked and then explorer loads... but disappears a few seconds later!

I really need to get into safe mode to try and remove some crap i've somehow caught and I've never had this trouble before. help!!!

many thanks!!

Steven

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,173 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:36 PM

Hello ministe2003, welcome to bleeping computer
If you are using XP try toPerform a Repair Installation
This will get you to the ability to run scans.
This will not change any of you stored files or repair malware. you will also propbaly need to run windows update.

Edited by boopme, 19 November 2006 - 04:38 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ministe2003

ministe2003
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:37 PM

Hi,
thanks for the reply.

I've sorted it now, turns out I had several viruses.
DrWeb-CureIt sorted out a couple of start-up items for me and I was then able to get into Safe Mode and from there used cCleaner, CureIt, VundoFix, SmitFraudFix, Ad-aware and Spybot to eventually get clean.

Thanks again

Steven

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users