Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msnsgs.exe Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

Reading a thread on Google about this virus /worm and how to get rid of it by going into MSconfig and unticking the box. I did this and was prompted to restart PC for changes to take effect.

On restart I get the following message/warning.

"You have used System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selected start up mode, causing this messege to be displayed and the Utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Start Up mode in the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility."

Underneath this is a tick box and the message stating "Don't show this message or launch System Configuration Utility when Windows starts"

I ticked the box and okayed it but it still comes up when I start my PC.

I decided just to run with it and if I noticed any difference it would be easy enough to undo.

Not being very PC technical I am not exactly sure how to take the above message and thought it would be a good idea to post it here for your views / opinions.Thanks in advance for any help offered,

Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:07 PM

I can't help with the msconfig error - but I can recommend a tool that's much easier to use (and it's free). It's called StartupCPL, it was written by Mike Lin, and it's available here: http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:11 AM

I will try that, but should I leave the changes I have made to SysConUtility or should undo as the message printed says.

I have noticed no changes in my PC since I unticked the box but don't really understand what the message is telling me.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

I really don't like msconfig and I avoid using it whenever possible - it's just too confusing for me!

I'd let it revert to the original settings (undo the changes), then use the StartupCPL utility (BTW - it makes a new entry in your Control Panel called "Startup" - and you can run it from there).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 06:00 AM

Hi Usasma,
Sometime last night my Pc crashed and restarted. I believe it would have been in conjunction with my weekly scheduled Windows Update.

When I came on the Pc this morning I got the SysComUtility message popup so undid changes and checked the normal start up box and restarted Pc for changes to take effect.

I have looked at the link to Mike Lins Startup CPL programme and am interested as you say it is better than the MSconfig.

If I install this programme how do I know which boxes to tick and untick or does the programme do this automatically.

Sorry if I seem dumb but I am not very Pc literate and don't want to mess up.I guess what I need is a simple step by step instruction.

Again thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.
Bluesjunior.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:06 AM

Just make sure the box that is checked in msconfig is set to start in normal mode.

This situation is one of the reasons I do not recommend it.

The easiest startup manager for a non-expert to use is Startup Inspector.
Startup Inspector (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users