Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarts Frequently

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 schmo_lh

schmo_lh

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:23 AM

hi there

my computer has been restarting alot lately by itself and so i decided to tuen the automatic restart off, and now a blue screen pops up. apparently it is the blue screen of death. at the moment i am lost for ideas on what to do. i thought i had found what cause this, a video driver, but it wasn't to be the case. i can't remember what i installed around the time when the computer started acting this way, and so i am completely lost as to what i should do now. PLEASE heLP

schmo_lh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevb2000

stevb2000

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:19 PM

What you should do is backup all your important files, do an F8 and choose last good known configuration that should clear it up. If it continues then you should go into dos mode format your c: drive to clear what ever is on the drive corrupting the operating system then reinstall your xp. And then download all your files you saved.

#3 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

Post the entire message you see on the blue screen, so we can help you diagnose this issue.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#4 schmo_lh

schmo_lh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:25 PM

this is what it says on the blue screen

a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:
check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. if this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufactucturer for any windows update you might need.

if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. disable BIOS memory options such ascaching or shadowing. if you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode

technical information:
*** STOP: 0x0000000A (0xFFE005A4, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x8040B848)

beginning dump of physical memory
physical memory dump complete
contact your systen administrator or technical support group for futher assistance

that's what the message says, and also the start up of my computer is really slow and the computer doesn't respond for a little while very frequently

thanks for the help

schmo_lh

#5 el_ley

el_ley

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:47 AM

I am having almost the same problem. Windows XP restarts every time I start the PC and the blue screen appears. The only difference is this:
technical information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)
My system is Pentium 4 1.6 ghz 1.25 Gb RAM. xp Home edition.

Since I cant loggin i normal mode the only way I can access my pc is on safemode.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

STOP 0xOa error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x0a

Usually caused by a bad driver - the problem is in figuring out which one it is. Try this HowTo on the Event Viewer to see if you can locate more information on the error message (we're looking for a filename to associate with the error): http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/

If that doesn't work, search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp If you find them, use this link to perform an analysis of them and post the results here for us to have a look at: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246

el_ley - the STOP 0xD1 error is an entirely different message from the STOP 0x0a error posted by schmo_lh. In addition to driver issues, this one can also be caused by memory problems. I'd suggest that you start your own thread so that your issues can get the full attention of our experts.

Here's a link to your error: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0xd1
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 schmo_lh

schmo_lh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 04:58 AM

hi there usasma,

i haven't tried your suggestions yet, as a new massage now appears on the blue screen.

the techinal information reads as follows:

*** STOP: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF8BAD55C, 0xF8BAD258, 0xF851A76D)

*** Ntfs.sys - address F851A76D base at F84FA000, Datestamp 41107oea

schmo_lh

#8 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

el_ley, I would suggest you start your own thread, as I think we are dealing with two seperate issues here.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#9 el_ley

el_ley

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I have started a new thread here at windows XP Home and Professional. its called Windows Restarts At Loggin Screen I explain there with more details what is happening. I have more than 10 days with problems on my pc, i will very much appreciate any help.

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

Have you recently tried to convert your system from Fat32 to NTFS?
Have you tried to do any overclocking?

Do you have a bootable Windows XP cd (not a manufacturer's recovery cd)?

Rectify A Missing Or Corrupt NTFS.SYS Error
http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_...ssing_or_co.htm

Edited by Enthusiast, 21 November 2006 - 08:54 AM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

The STOP 0x24 error is an NTFS file system error - and generally points to problems with your hard drive or the file system on it. Here's a link: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x24

So, let's compare it to the STOP 0x0a error and look for similarities:
STOP 0x0a:

Typically due to a bad driver, or faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Use the General Troubleshooting of STOP Messages checklist above. Technically, this error condition means that a kernel-mode process or driver tried to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt ReQuest Level (IRQL) that was too high. (A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.)

STOP 0X24:

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

What they have in common is drivers - and more specifically, drivers for disks. So, I'd update all your disk type drivers (your motherboard/chipset drivers usually do this) and see if it fixes it.

Edited by usasma, 21 November 2006 - 08:56 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users