Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Horrible Hairy Hogs

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:36 AM

this is the first problem i am bringing to the forums... but it won't be the last!

i have an emachine running home ed. sp2.

at startup
  • the emachines screen appears
  • followed by the windows screen
  • followed by a blank screen...
then nothing. i have to perform an emergency shutdown. this situation repeats itself between one and ten times and then the computer starts the way it should.

i have no idea why this is happening. your help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Johnny

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:02 AM

You may not be waiting long enough.

In any case start the computer in safe mode (by tapping F8 as soon as your computer begins to boot and before Windows begins to start.

Once you are there, use the up and down arrows to choose "Last Known Good Configuration" and then reboot using normal mode.
Did it help?

How long has this problem been occurring?

Hard shutdowns scramble the op system. Try to refrain from doing that.

Do you have the bootable Windows XP installation cd or a manufacturer's Recovery cd? And if so, which?

What is the model and make of the computer?

Once you do get it to boot, use Windows Explorer to do the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Reboot when the scan finishes. How is your system acting now?

Please answer the previous questions and we will go from there.

#3 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:34 AM

you may not be waiting long enough.

i have waited up to 20 min. w/ no response.

last known good configuration and then reboot using normal mode. did it help?

i tried that numerous times - no, it didn't help.

how long has this problem been occurring?

months

do you have the bootable windows installation cd or a manufacturer's recovery cd?

i have a reinstallation cd. xp home incl. sp 1a.

what is the model and make of the computer?

emachine. intel celeron cpu 1100MHz 1.10 GHz 256 MB of RAM.

windows onecare... reboot when the scan finishes. how is your system acting now?

unfortunately the same. booted once normally followed by 3 times faulty.

thanks for the quick response! please - continue.

Johnny

#4 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:13 AM

hello?

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:40 AM

1. Check cables in the back of the monitor, and on the back of the PC.
2. It could be a faulty cord, or power supply.
3. Check the Device Manager for any problem occuring, around the same time the monitor went blank.
If there's a problem, you'll see either a red X, or a yellow exclamation mark, next to Monitors, or Display Adapters.
If it show a problem, right click the device, select Properties, and under the General tab, see if it tells you what the problem is.
4. Try updating the drivers for the Monitor, and Display Adapter.
There's a Tutorial here, explaining the process:
How to update a Windows hardware driver
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 1up2down

1up2down

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:29 AM

this is the first problem i am bringing to the forums... but it won't be the last!

i have an emachine running home ed. sp2.

at startup

• the emachines screen appears
  • followed by the windows screen
  • followed by a blank screen...
then nothing. i have to perform an emergency shutdown. this situation repeats itself between one and ten times and then the computer starts the way it should.

i have no idea why this is happening. your help will be greatly appreciated.

thanks.

Johnny

Hi, the questions you've already been asked by Enthusiast are important to solving your problem and need clearer answers. For instance, if I was to answer some of them I would say I have an emachine 380 with a full windows XP Home Edition installation CD, not the recovery disks supplied with the emachine. If your not using recovery disks then there are several ways of resolving your problem.

I had exactly the same problem as you with my XP Home Edition, and because it was the full version, I was able to repair the system by reinstalling over the top of the existing one using the CD. You cannot do this with the recovery disks.

If you are using an installation created using the recovery disks, can I ask if you have backed up all your important data. If not I would recommend that you do so on the next occasion when it does boot normally, because sooner or later it will not boot at all, and you will have no choice but to reinstall loosing everything on your hard drive.

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Emachines.. right up my alley, first, can you provide a model number? 2nd, Tg1911's points 1 & 2 are usual problems I have with my own machine. I have a T2240 (I've upgraded a bit though) in case you might wonder, and XP always gave me trouble on it. if TG's suggestions don't work, I have a few you could try, can't gurantee anything though, Emachines' bios is nasty, and rather picky
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#8 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 12:58 AM

1. Check cables in the back of the monitor, and on the back of the PC.

what will i be looking for?

2. It could be a faulty cord, or power supply.

how would i know? everything works.

3. Check the Device Manager for any problem occuring, around the same time the monitor went blank.
If there's a problem, you'll see either a red X, or a yellow exclamation mark, next to Monitors, or Display Adapters.

no problems there.

i have -
  • intel 82810e graphics controller
  • nec c700 monitor
but...

<< this device is working properly >>

on both...

Edited by Johnny Yesno, 23 November 2006 - 12:59 AM.

#9 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:02 AM

can you provide a model number? ... suggestions... I have a few you could try

i don't know how to find the model number. i would very much appreciate your help. i don't know what this is...

thanks.

:-)

#10 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

the questions you've already been asked by Enthusiast are important to solving your problem and need clearer answers.

i did answer them.

For instance, if I was to answer some of them I would say I have an emachine 380

i said i had an emachine but i do not know the number.

with a full windows XP Home Edition installation CD

i did mention the os disk i have.

can I ask if you have backed up all your important data?

yes.

sooner or later it will not boot at all, and you will have no choice but to reinstall loosing everything on your hard drive.

this is exactly what i want to avoid - a complete reinstallation - reinstalling and updating all the programs - windows updates etc.

i just want the computer to boot without hanging on a black screen.

thanks.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:09 AM

If you can get into Windows, go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

In the window that opens, are there any red x's or yellow !'s? If so, what are they on.

While you're in Windows, take the opportunity to update your video drivers. Using the first set of commands that I gave you, click on the + sign next to Display Adaptors, then right click on the entry that shows up below it. Then select Properties. In the Properties window, click on the Drivers tab, then select Update Driver. Let it go out on the web to find it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:57 AM

devmgmt.msc... are there any red x's or yellow !'s?

there are none. everything appears to be working normally.

update your video drivers. Update Driver. Let it go out on the web to find it.

okay i did that. the msg i received is: The wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed.

thank you very much for your help. please, continue.

greg

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:41 AM

Go to the eMachines site and search for your model.

Once you find it, do 2 things:
1) Locate the specifications for your system and save them somewhere on your system. Then find out what type of video or display adapter that you have. With this info we can direct you to the proper site for manufacturer's video drivers (for the card, not the system).
2) Locate the downloads section for your system - then locate the video drivers. Download them and install them. The Windows tool isn't always effective at finding the drivers (FYI - there's a dramatic improvement in this in Vista).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 09:57 AM

the free program in the link below will give you the info that everyone is asking for. As far as the model of your computer, just click on system info under the Hardware heading. Hope this will help you to resolve your problem.
http://www.gtopala.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#15 Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

what a beautiful program. thanks.

okay, under hardware/system info:

Virtual Memory 818 MB Total, 562 MB Free

SwapFile 576 MB
Max used 87 MB
In use 82 MB
Registry Size 4 MB (current), 66 MB (maximum)

Profile GUID {d8a08940-2f6a-11db-b7f9-806d6172696f}

The system clock interval 15 ms

Warning! Accuracy of DMI data cannot be guaranteed

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users