Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The New Ps3 System What Makes It Better Than Pc Games?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:21 PM

I find it hard to believe people would hurt each other over this new game system. Yesterday when it came out they were selling for 3k on ebay!

Now they are down to little over 1000 or as low as 800+

Unless you have a HDTV the games will still be stuck with just 480 pixels of resolution.

Computer games have been in HD for years. At least 1024x768.

I have played call of duty on the computer. The graphics were great. If it was on a ps2 it would be no good.

If you get a new ps3 and have a normal tv its kinda crazy isnt it?

I saw one in walmart the day it came out. A boy was playing it. They had it hooked up to a hdtv.

Well it had computer like graphics. It was amazing just like the xbox 360 I played in walmart.

So really I wonder does anyone know if this is better than playing the pc version of the ps2 and xbox games?
Like what makes the games being played on the ps3 better than the same game on the pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:30 AM

Like what makes the games being played on the ps3 better than the same game on the pc?

Who says a game on a PS3 are better than the same game on a PC? On a PC you'll probably have to pay a little more for hardware to be able to play them equally but beyond that there won't be much in the way of differences between the same game on a PC and PS3.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:02 PM

One thing on the Playstation3 games like Call of Duty 3 have better AI modes. If you ever played COD2 on the computer you will know what I am talking about how the enemy tanks and actual solider will learn your moves. However, since the PS3 has 8 CPU's running at once it can dedicate 2 to just the AI so the game can learn from you making it more challenging and preventing it from becoming boring.

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 08:55 PM

I'm not as well-versed on the subject as some, but I think a big reason console games look so well on relatively modest hardware is because it's easier for the programmers to focus their development. On consoles you have a lean OS and an absolute hardware standard. You know exactly what your limits and capabilities are when you're designing for a console, whereas for PCs you have a a large set of hardware configurations out there, and you have to not only make the game capable for modern hardware, but also for the "minimum required" specifications for all the people you want to sell the game to who don't have the latest and greatest CPUs and video chipsets.

Conversely, PC hardware revolves at a much faster state than consoles, so it doesn't take terribly long for PC games to reach and surpass the graphical quality of the newer consoles. I recall when the PS2 first came out and many declared PC graphics dethroned if not doomed entirely, now the PS2 is altogether unimpressive. I don't expect this cycle to be much different.
Posted Image

#5 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2006 - 10:22 PM

Well if you have the hardware needed the game will work just like its supposed to and with better quality than a console.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 12:33 AM

The key is in code optimization. Optimized code and differing software techniques can mean the graphical difference between say a PS2 launch title and a title like MGS3 or Shadow of the Colossus. The hardware is the same but the visual quality is vastly different.

For all the hype, neither the PS3 nor the 360's processors are supercomputers. They're in-order instruction execution cores instead of out-of-order like you have in any modern PC CPU. Their overall power is estimated at around an Athlon 64 3200 or even an Athlon XP 2800. The PS3 is about equal to a GeForce 7 series in terms of GPU, the 360 is a lot closer to a DirectX 10 card.

So, fairly decent machines, but look at the graphics of something like Gears of War. You'd think you'd need a state of the art PC to get the same performance. I believe the reason being the developers can squeeze in more optimizations when they know exactly what hardware they're dealing with as opposed to more general DirectX or OpenGL APIs.
Posted Image

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

Programmers for consoles can write code that best uses and exploits known, stable, and specific hardware configurations, while programmers for PCs must write code for a plethora of possible hardware and software configurations.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Heretic Monkey

Heretic Monkey

• Members
  • 1,122 posts
  •  

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:59 PM

Arcman and jgweed seem to have the explanation i was going to use nailed...

Another factor would be that most people prefer console games so that they won't have to upgrade their pc to play all the latest software. That's the main thing that's turned me away from pc gaming in general. I just don't have the funds to keep up w/ hardware that will allow me to play quake 4 and prey on my box. For home consoles, you buy it once, and it runs every game made for it. No worries like "will i have enough RAM?" , "will my graphics card support this?" , or "how many FPS will i be able to squeeze out?".

Conversely, PC hardware revolves at a much faster state than consoles, so it doesn't take terribly long for PC games to reach and surpass the graphical quality of the newer consoles. I recall when the PS2 first came out and many declared PC graphics dethroned if not doomed entirely, now the PS2 is altogether unimpressive. I don't expect this cycle to be much different.

This cycle can't go on forever, though. Once graphics get to a pseudo-realistic quality, no more advancements will be able to be made...

Edited by Heretic Monkey, 09 December 2006 - 04:00 PM.

#9 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 07:53 PM

Another factor would be that most people prefer console games so that they won't have to upgrade their pc to play all the latest software. That's the main thing that's turned me away from pc gaming in general. I just don't have the funds to keep up w/ hardware that will allow me to play quake 4 and prey on my box. For home consoles, you buy it once, and it runs every game made for it. No worries like "will i have enough RAM?" , "will my graphics card support this?" , or "how many FPS will i be able to squeeze out?".

That's exactly why I prefer playing games on my PS2 to playing them on my PC!!! As a poor college student, its much cheaper to buy a console, a memory card/stick (for saving my game) and then the game(s) I want. I don't have the cash lying around to keep up with the constantly improving hardware requirements for PC gaming!!

I prefer consoles...although, at $600, it will be several years until I can get a Playstation 3... *sad sigh* :thumbsup:

#10 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 09:12 PM

That's exactly why I prefer playing games on my PS2 to playing them on my PC!!! As a poor college student, its much cheaper to buy a console, a memory card/stick (for saving my game) and then the game(s) I want. I don't have the cash lying around to keep up with the constantly improving hardware requirements for PC gaming!!

I prefer consoles...although, at $600, it will be several years until I can get a Playstation 3... *sad sigh* :thumbsup:

Heh, with the price of the PS3 hardware and the games being $60 a pop, it's cheaper to game on a PC.
Posted Image

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 10 December 2006 - 11:17 PM

""will i have enough RAM?" , "will my graphics card support this?" , or "how many FPS will i be able to squeeze out?""

Well very rarely will you have to worry about this. I mean most games have required about the same amount of ram for a while now. Systems are coming with either 512mb or 1gb now days and more.

#12 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 December 2006 - 12:42 AM

There was a ps3 on ebay being sold with a buy it now price of $1,000,000 wich is ridiculous and the location was from the white house. :thumbsup:
I can only learn what i want to learn.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users