Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Having Trouble Deleting Files And Folders

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baso3456

baso3456

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

I was trying out Cobian and discovered I backed up the same files about 8 times all within the same folder. The program continued to make the same backup folder over and over again with the same file name. Windows is giving me a lot of debug notices on this and inactivating my desktop as I try to delete the folders and files. It will not let me delete them. I have a folder with 2 gigs that I don't need or want and can't delete. Windows is saying the file names are too long among other things. Can anyone help with this? I've already changed some of the file names and it helped some but the folder that is embedded 8 times all within itself each time is one of the folders I cannot delete. I've already tried erasing it too no avail. These folders are all named the same as the cobian main backup folder. Help anyone!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:13 PM

Try deleting these files in safe mode which should not load this ap with Windows.

To access safe mode reboot and start tapping F8 as soon as the bios begins posting and before the Starting Windows screen starts.

Also, consider Windows XP has a mass renaming tool which you can use to eliminate file names that are too long.

This tool enables you give a group of files a common name with sequential numbering.

Open Windows Explorer and select the files you want to rename. (highlight them)
Then press F2 (or right-click on the selection and choose Rename).

Then type the name you want the first file in the batch to have.
Example: Cobian (1).
Windows will give the same filename to the remaining files in the selection, incrementing the number to Cobian (2), Cobian (3), etc.

You can undo the change if you need or want to by clicking on "Edit" and then "Undo".

#3 baso3456

baso3456
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:30 PM

Safe mode did not help but renaming files did. I used only 1 letter for naming each file. My biggest problem was that some of my music folders had too long a name and windows would not delete or even open them. The delete option was not even listed upon right clicking on these folders. I think I must have used the folder I was backing up as my destination folder. Otherwise I can't explain how I backed up the same folder more like 50 times instead of 8 or 10 as I thought. They were so embedded into themselves that I could not even open them. Anyway after about 3 hrs. of deleting, and 4 to 6 reboots later, my unwanted backup is gone and I have 2 gigs of freespace again. This is one of the biggest blunders I've ever done. I went outside to get my mail and check my oil in my car while this was happening. What would have happened if I did not cancel the backup? I'm going to be more careful and pay more attention on the next backup I do. I tried Cobian because it is able to backup to other computers on my network. I have Nero but it will not do this so I thought I would give Cobian a try. I would think that software like this would prevent a fool like me from making a mistake like this but I guess not. Thanks Enthusiast for your help.

Edited by baso3456, 19 November 2006 - 06:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users