Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Webmaster

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ussr1943

ussr1943

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:32 PM

hi all,
there hasnt been much posting on this part of the forum so i fifgured maybe i could start something up. i know i am interested in web design and i know basics of html and css. what otherthings should i learn to become a webmaster, where should i go to learn it, what books do you recamend and web sites? (i know theree are others outthere that would also like this info so i figured laets start a topic and get feedback). what is mysql, phpbb? and so on? where are some good places to look for for start up sites, where are good hosters, where can you perchase domain names. basicly anything and everything you think of about website design and devolpement for beginners in here.

thanks

Edited by ussr1943, 18 November 2006 - 06:34 PM.

"Ideas are far more powerful than guns."
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford
"One man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

i'm not sure what the rules are for bumping topics, but noone has replyed in atleast a week and i am still woundering what things i should know in order to become a really good web designer/maker.
"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards -- and even then I have my doubts." --Eugene H. Spafford

#3 Siggyman

Siggyman

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:45 PM

My advice to a aspiring webmaster would be, keep a note book with you to write down any ideas, Mess around wit hthe programming you no, That is it if you no html and css..well php might help but that is about it.
Posted Image

#4 silmaril8n

silmaril8n

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:19 AM

If I was going to advise someone on the basics for getting into webdev I would suggest learning the following:
XHTML / CSS
PHP / MySQL

I've heard some great things about Ruby on Rails as well but haven't used it as my current host doesn't offer it (and I've got enough on my plate).

Hosts will be one of those highly contested issues. Best bet for a host is just start reading current reviews and make a decision upon what you want your site(s) to do.

GoDaddy has always been my place for registering names.

#5 ussr1943

ussr1943
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

thank you both for your replies, they are very helpful.
i think i have a very good basis of html, i took a look at xhtml and it looks just like a more cleaned up and specific form html. css is something i have to work on, i am one of thoose people who puts all of the tags like
<LI><B><I><U> This is interesting fact #1<B><I><U></LI>
and i see how css can help. as for php and my sql, i dont know much about them, what they can do, what i would use them for and so on, i will check a few places to find out, i am still checking around for a good webhost, i know angelfire, freewebs and stuff are good for free stuff, but eventually i would like to make a www.noanglefirecraporwhateveryouadd.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users