Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of Extra Boot Options

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jay_rock

jay_rock

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:12 PM

I was wondering if any of you guys can help me out. I've not had any comp training and what I know is just things i have picked up myself. So if some of the terminology is not correct please forgive me

Pc is a Packard bell running xp pro
well here is my headache of a problem.
I need to get rid of an extra boot options. i say this in the meaning that i have two os when i boot up Windows XP Pro - the existing OS and Windows XP Home the one i upgraded from.

the boot screen goes something like this from memory

Please select the operating system to start:

Windows XP pro
Windows XP home
Use and to move the highlight to your choice

Press ENTER to choose.

Seconds until highlighted choice will be started automatically: 29

I tried to edit the boot.ini file but as far as i can tell i can only see one OS.
Here is the file.

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\ = "Microsoft Windows"

Also i think this may have some thing to do when my hard drive failed and my pc would not boot at all. I tried to rebuild the MBR or whatever its called..
I used a file recovery program to get some files back after i had reinstalled. and i think (cus it was a while back now) i undeleted a partition or unhid on the hard drive so now i have a /C being the drive my computer is on now and /D being called backup so i think i need to get rid of /D some how, All though i have a feeling /D is the packard bell utility for when you want to restore the pc?? Perhaps i just need to hide it again ? But i'am really struggling with this lol any help is great fully received

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

Go to Start->Run, type in msconfig and press enter. Click on the "boot.ini" tab and check the displayed boot configuration. If it doesn't match the boot.ini file you edited, and shows the erroneous entries, click the "Check All Boot Paths" button. That should clear it up.

If it does match the one you edited, then I'm stumped...

#3 jay_rock

jay_rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:24 PM

The boot.ini file is the original file it has not been edited and this is how it is now and i still get to choose which OS i use lol

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:25 PM

Start > Run > "%systemroot%\i386"

lead somewhere?
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#5 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

What drive letter is Windows installed on, and which logical partition does that correspond to?

#6 jay_rock

jay_rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:28 PM

Also someone else told me i could change the timeout to 0 seconds in the boot.ini file. I can see that this would work but surely this is just a means to overcome it not to put it right?

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:30 PM

What drive letter is Windows installed on

That doesn't make a difference

and which logical partition does that correspond to?

if you're refering to me, it's a locally-recognised command

PSP M33 USER.

#8 jay_rock

jay_rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

What drive letter is Windows installed on, and which logical partition does that correspond to?

window is installed on /C drive but to the second part of you question i am unsure can you explain it a bit for me?

#9 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

Also someone else told me i could change the timeout to 0 seconds in the boot.ini file. I can see that this would work but surely this is just a means to overcome it not to put it right?

Changing that timeout to 0 will automatically run the default OS, not recommended, because you can't do any debugging. and many things here require that

PSP M33 USER.

#10 jay_rock

jay_rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:34 PM

Start > Run > "%systemroot%\i386"

lead somewhere?

is this that utility that fixes stuff from the windows cd ?

you have to bear with me guys i am struggling with all this tech talk

#11 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:38 PM

no, not yet anway. if that folder is there you do not need the CD. if it isn't you will need that CD

Edited by DemonSui, 18 November 2006 - 05:38 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

no, not yet anway. if that folder is there you do not need the CD. if it isn't you will need that CD

That is unless the files in that folder have become corrupted or damaged.
Unless you intentionally copied this folder to retain as a source for sfc.exe or whatever I would recommend using the cd because the i386 folder on the cd will have no chance of being corrupted.

Copying it to a different hard drive as a repair tool is a great idea though. Something I had never thought of doing before, so thanks for the tip DemonSui.

#13 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:54 PM

That is unless the files in that folder have become corrupted or damaged.
Unless you intentionally copied this folder to retain as a source for sfc.exe or whatever I would recommend using the cd because the i386 folder on the cd will have no chance of being corrupted.

Copying it to a different hard drive as a repair tool is a great idea though. Something I had never thought of doing before, so thanks for the tip DemonSui.

Mine was coppied to the same hard drive. lol
It would have to be placed as I have said, otherwise windows won't recognise it as there. and there are a few files in that folder that are used for restore purposes (non-destructive)

And no problem, I'm full of ideas, just ask me, I'll tell ya ;)

and for the question as to where %systemroot% leads:

if your main hard drive is C it would lead to C:\Windows, if it was X it would lead to X:\Windows

it's simple a reference index that windows will pick up

Edited by DemonSui, 18 November 2006 - 05:58 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#14 jay_rock

jay_rock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:04 AM

Ok guys I've just woken up and read all your replies and im a little lost as to what you want me to do

Start > Run > "%systemroot%\i386" do you want me to run this ?

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:57 PM

I dunno 'bout no i386 Miz Scarlett! :thumbsup:

Try booting from your XP installation CD and selecting the option to repair using the Recovery Console - by pressing "R".

Once in the Recovery Console, try these commands (pressing Enter after each one):

fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg

Let us know if it works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users