Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hangs When Search My Computer Icon Is Selected

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 knorrtech

knorrtech

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

Hello Everyone,
This is my first time on this forum, but I have noticed this site is very popular and looks very interesting. I am fixing my son's computer. when I click on "My computer" the search light keeps searching for minutes about 1-5 on average.

It then will show device. I found a fix months ago which directed me to turn on or off a window service. But I did not write it down and can not find the fix.

I did clean up the drive, run spybot, AVG scanned but problem persists. Any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks
Pat :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:07 PM

when you rightclick, or leftclick (open)
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:31 PM

See if the following helps:

Kellys Korner - 157 on the right

And 83 on the right if applicable

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:54 PM

Something else to try:
Open My Computer / Tools / Folder Options / View tab
Uncheck the Automatically search for network folders and printers box.
Click OK.

XP automatically searches for attached and network printers and remote drives and folders each time you open My Computer. This can cause a considerable delay before you can actually see the icons.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:46 PM

Lot's of good stuff in this post: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_21447479.html

Scroll down past all the ads/etc to see the replies. If you have to visit it again, you'll have to delete your cookies (otherwise the post won't show on subsequent visits).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DickieMcDoo

DickieMcDoo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Just wanted to note that Kelly's Korner #157 worked like a charm for me.

:thumbsup:

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users