Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A Direct Computer To Computer Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:30 PM

Hello everyone,

I'd like to setup a second computer to share a cable internet connection and for file and printer sharing. I wanted to avoid shelling out too much on routers where possible and read that using a direct wire connection for just two comps on the network would provide the best results.

I bought a second network card with ethernet cable but before opening the packaging I wanted to ensure I had the right hardware to accomplish the objectives. So i install second network card with driver in host computer that is currently attached directly to cable modem, then connect ethernet cable from the second comp (which has ethernet card) to the new network card on host..then other than configuring windows on each computer is there anything else I need to do?

Also,
the second comp runs win xp pro but has only 256mb of ram..what ramifications on performance should i expect?...also will the signal be split when the second comp is connected or will I get full speed on both with this setup?...

I'll also need to know what services(if any) need to be set to automatic ..I'm sure I'll need to do some configuring with windows on both comps and if you can help me there too I'd be very much obliged.

thirdly and lastly, will the cable company be able to tell that I am running two comps off the one cable modem..I heard they will charge extra for another computer to access their service but if using a wired router they cannot tell if another pc is connected...of course I will not be using a router here but since it is nevertheless a wired connection does the same stealth still apply?

Thank you so much for all your experience and expert guidance...

Darren :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

Hello everyone,

I'd like to setup a second computer to share a cable internet connection and for file and printer sharing. I wanted to avoid shelling out too much on routers where possible and read that using a direct wire connection for just two comps on the network would provide the best results.

Actually a router is a cost effective way to setup a LAN for multiple computers. Once setup is only requires you have a ethernet port or wifi card on the additional computer to add it to the LAN. You can purchase a entry level router for as little as $25. I would recommend the Linksys Network Everywhere NR041-wm router. You can purchase on a Walmart for around $40. It will support up to 4 network devices or computers.

I bought a second network card with ethernet cable but before opening the packaging I wanted to ensure I had the right hardware to accomplish the objectives. So i install second network card with driver in host computer that is currently attached directly to cable modem, then connect ethernet cable from the second comp (which has ethernet card) to the new network card on host..then other than configuring windows on each computer is there anything else I need to do?

This should be no more difficult than setting it up through the Network Connection Wizard. It is straight forward but if you get stuck let us know.

Also,
the second comp runs win XP pro but has only 256mb of ram..what ramifications on performance should i expect?...also will the signal be split when the second comp is connected or will I get full speed on both with this setup?...

I personal would not have a XP (Media, Home, or Pro) that had less than 512 MB of RAM. With the recommended security software (Antivirus, firewall, several antispyware) it is surprising how much resources are chewed up. I personally am running 768mb on a P-III 500mhz with XP Pro.

I'll also need to know what services(if any) need to be set to automatic ..I'm sure I'll need to do some configuring with windows on both comps and if you can help me there too I'd be very much obliged.

I would stay away from configuring you LAN IP addresses, also referred to and internal IP addresses, as static IPs. This is usually not needed. Configure you IP for DHCP, which will automatically assign your computers an internal IP address.

thirdly and lastly, will the cable company be able to tell that I am running two comps off the one cable modem..I heard they will charge extra for another computer to access their service but if using a wired router they cannot tell if another PC is connected...of course I will not be using a router here but since it is nevertheless a wired connection does the same stealth still apply?

Thank you so much for all your experience and expert guidance...

Simply put they will not care. I have 13 computers on my home LAN and Cox Cable has been out several times to work on their wiring. From the modem to the street. If they do find out you have a LAN, do not allow them to work on it. My local cable company charges $85\hr to diagnose network problems. It will apply to your second computer but not to the computer attached to the modem. A router is a good cheap security tool. I believe every HSI (High Speed Internet) connection should be behind one. Even if it is only one computer accessing the WAN (Internet). IMO
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:03 AM

What type of cable are you using. If you are doing a direct connection between ports you will need a Cross-Over Cable. These have the Transmit and Recieve pairs crossed over. If using a Hub, Switch or Routerthis will be done in the hardware.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#4 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:15 PM

Update

Both computers are running wonderfully. I re-installed XP on both as i was having issues with connectivity. After buying a crossover cable I managed to save $50 and accomplish my objectives no prob.

Thanks to all of you who gave your time to help me out.

Have a great holiday,

Darren

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users