Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Icons, No Menu Bar, Just Wallpaper

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Joy H

Joy H

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:05 PM

Hi, I'm posting this for my daughter because her computer has problems and she can't use it.

Dell Dimension 4700 running Windows XP. Here is what she gets at a very slow start-up start up:
1. Dell screen
2. black screen with blinking cusor
3. Windows XP
4. black screen
5. blue screen-Windows is starting up
6. User name page
7. clicking on a name brings up just wallpaper with no icons, or toolbars.

If she tries Control, Alt, Del a window comes up saying "Log onto Windows XP" and it asks for her user name and password (her name appears in the username, but the password she always uses is not accepted).

Trying that password she gets a message "System cannot log you on. Make sure your user name or domain are correct, then type your password again" OK, Cancel or Shutdown. OK takes her back to the wallpaper screen, and shutdown gives her the option to restart, shutdown or hibernate.

Neither one of us is great at computers and any help would definitely be appreciated. I'm in Arkansas and she is in Texas so we are trying to do this long distance.

Thanks so much.

Joy H

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:27 PM

Have her replace her username on the sign-on screen with just administrator in the top box and no password.

See if that will log on.

Is hers the only user account on the computer or are there others?

If there is another user, try signing on with that account.

#3 Joy H

Joy H
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:05 PM

There are three others on the sign-in screen. The same thing happens with all of them. She just told me that she now can get into the Task Manager. What can she do from there? Thanks.

Joy H

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

A couple of things:

If this problem just recently began (less than three weeks)
she can run the Windows System Restore utility to reset the system state to a previously working condition.

To do so:

Windows restore from the taskmanager

From the Task Manager select "New Task".
Type in "CMD" without quotes.
Click ok.

From the Command Prompt type the following:

1. <c:\> is already displayed, if not type "cd\" (without the quotes) and hit enter.

2.cd c:\windows\system32\restore and hit enter again

3.rstrui and hit enter

4. choose a date that predated the onset of this problem and follow the directions on-screen

If that is successful it should resolve her problem permanently.

If it doesn't work, have her reopen the task manager and click "file" then "New Task" and type in explorer.exe

How did she get to the task manager?
Is the computer running but just extremely slowly? If she just waits will it complete the bootup by itself?

If it is extremely slow there may be a malware infection, her hard drive may be full, or other system files may be corrupted.
Instead of doing this third party, why not just have her come here and post so we can help her directly instead of having to relay our suggestions through you which will speed things up and prevent the possibility of a typo from preventing a successful fix.

Edited by Enthusiast, 18 November 2006 - 03:22 PM.

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

Joy H

Please notice that I have edited my previous post and added some information. Please re-read it.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:38 PM

If she can get into Task Manager - have her click on "File" and then on "New Task..." and type in "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Does that restore her desktop?

Also, see if she can start a new task named "iexplore.exe" (without the quotes). This will open Internet Explorer. Once in, see if she can go to http://safety.live.com/ and perform a free, online scan of her system (it takes a couple of hours to do).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users