Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Windows To An External Hard Drive.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 PM

Posted 30 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

ok, i have wiped out the default line in the boot.ini file, it now looks like this:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="MS WINDOWS XP SP2/SP3 UWin Installer Edition" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

I also found hte boot.bak file and it looked the same as how the boot.ini used to look. I have edited boot.bak to look the same as above, ie:

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="MS WINDOWS XP SP2/SP3 UWin Installer Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

I still get the annoying screen saying do i want to boot the above install or the windows default. However, i have not done any damage as yet! So, are there any other files i might have which could be causing the system to think it needs to boot something that isnt there?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:17 AM

Did you run all three of the recovery console commands usasma gave you?

fixboot
fixmbr
bootcfg

Also, are you sure you didn't set a second partition when you reinstalled XP (so there would be two active partitions now)?

Edited by Enthusiast, 01 December 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#18 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:09 PM

i didnt run those commands, i thort he meant to run them if i completely skrewed up the boot.ini file. i will do those commands this evening.

There is definitely not 2 active partitions.

Thanks for your help guys!

Edited by Hooky1742, 01 December 2006 - 01:10 PM.

#19 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:28 AM

The .DAT file isn't just used by Vista - but also by other things that you can do with Windows. So my suggestion about editing the boot.ini file was just the first step.

Sysprep and the Recovery Console also use this - but I'm not very familiar with them.

For the Recovery Console the path is generally: C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT

It's also possible that this was an upgrade from Windows NT (which would generate this path).

So, which scenario fits your situation? That'll give us a direction to go in.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#20 Hooky1742

Hooky1742
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 04 December 2006 - 02:19 PM

i didnt upgrade from anything, when i installed windows i reformatted the hard drive so no paths from previous installs should be left over.

With regards to vista, i tried the beta version a while ago but it was rubbish, so i soon reformatted (again) and started afresh with XP which is much more stable.

#21 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:49 PM

Well, Vista is my primary OS now, and it has been for a while. Beta's are just that...betas. They shouldn't be expected to work as a finished product.

Without getting more in-depth on this, it would appear that your fresh install didn't overwrite the boot sector of the drive. This is likely what's causing the problem. A low-level format of the hard drive and reinstall of XP will likely fix it - but that's probably not what you want to do.

Back to pounding the pavement trying to find another fix................
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users