Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error The Handle Is Invalid / Vbios Device Error Help Needed.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:43 AM

My m/b is an MSI and various MSI programs such as 'MSI Live Monitor' are installed.
After adding another PC User (non-Administrator), on booting up to that user, the following message boxes appear.
First msgbox: - 'The Handle is invalid'
Clicking 'OK' brings up an identical msgbox. After'OK' - the second msgbox appears.

Second msgbox: - VBIOS - ' Flash_MMIO_MAP deviceIoControl error'
After clicking 'OK', the MSI Live Monitor box appears momentarily, showing that it is now loaded.

Note that opening up as the main user (administrator), there are no problems.

Hi, I copied the above from a search on google as I am getting exactly the same problem on my PC. I couldn't find a fix on google so thought I should try you guys. Thanks in advance for any help offered.

Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:42 AM

Hi bluesjunior.
Near as I could find it's the MSI live update causing the error on a limited permission or non-admin account.
I think you already knew that though. :thumbsup:
Take a look at this thread.
You might find something at MSI's site as well.
Personally, I find the function useless. If I need it, I'll get it myself but that's just me. :flowers:

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:45 PM

You need to disable the MSI Live Update software when Windows start up if you do not want to continue to see those error messages.

Logon with your admin account, right click on the MSI Live Update icon, choose "Preference".
choose the "Configuration" option and uncheck "Launch Live Monitor when windows start up"
click Apply and Accept these changes.

That should eliminate the error messages when the limited user signs-on but since you are disabling the check for updates service you will need to check for MSI updates manually.

#4 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:53 PM

Thanks guys, took your advise problem now solved.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users