Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ntl Netguard

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

I have a AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+, 1.0GB RAM, 120GB hardrive (which has 80%free-space) and i have noticed that sometimes my PC takes about 3-4mins to boot up instead of the usual 30-40secs and it shoots up to 100% CPU now and again, which i am told looks like a virus. I regularly use CCleaner and defrag, plus i run spybot and NTL netguard anti-virus/anti spyware on a weekly basis. I did have a virus a week ago, (Win???.TMP.EXE) and my antivirus couldn't remove it so i got rid using PREVX (trial version). I thought everything was OK but my PC is again taking ages to boot up and locking up. I don't want to get carried away with too many security programs as i know they can clash but i'm not sure if my Netguard suite is up to the job. I did have Mcafee running until about 2 weeks ago but it was due to run out and i thought i'd try the free one that came with my broadband server, NTL. Have any of you used Netguard and if so what is your opinion of it? Are there any other free security suites i could use as i was told Microsoft's own antivirus/firewall/spyware wasn't up to the job.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:57 AM

I have never used Ntl Netguard so I will leave your question about it to others who have. However, you also say it takes a long time for your PC to load. If that is the case, check for any unnecessary applications loading at startup when Windows boots. Many startup programs are not needed and disabling them can save resources and improve performance.

Go to Start > Run and type: msconfig
Click "OK" or press "Enter" and the System Configuration Utility will open.
Go to the Startup Tab, and see what programs are listed.

If you are unsure what any of the startup entries are or if they are safe to disable, then search one of the following Startup Databases:
Startup Programs Database
StartupList Index

Note: MSConfig.exe is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose system configuration issues. Although it works as a basic startup manager which allows you to enable/disable auto-start programs, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable startup programs.

A better alternative is to use a startup manager. If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with them disabled. You can always go back and tick any of them to re-enable the startup entry. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.

Are there any other free security suites...

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one)
AVG Anti-Virus Free - AVG Anti-Virus Free User Manual
Avast - How to Install, Configure, and Use
AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
Active Virus Shield (During the install, it is recommended to uncheck the "Security Toolbar" component) - How to Install, Configure, and Use

Also see BC's List of Virus & Malware Resources and Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users