Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Start Pc

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kbrownie

kbrownie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:33 AM

Hi all, I hope someone can help me. I can start my pc in the morning, but if i've been using it for a while and then turn it off if I have to go out, when I try and turn it back on the light flashes but nothing else happens. I have to leave it alone for hours before it will start, I sometimes have to leave it overnight. Please help me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cavillas

Cavillas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:39 AM

It could be a sticky hard drive.

If you open the case turn on the computer and give the hard drive a gentle tap, with the handle of a screwdriver, this sometimes works. If it is that then it would be best to replace the hard drive ASAP.
I,of course, can accept no responsibility if anything goes wrong. This is just a suggestion after my own experiences. :thumbsup:

This has happened to me on an old computer and worked until I could replace the hard drive.

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

This could also be a servics problem in windows.

Running a "SFC /scannow" should do the trick

click Start, click Run, type SFC/scannow , let it run, reboot when finished

NOTE: Thiw will requite either an I386 folder (located at %systemroom%/I386) or the windows XP cd
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:57 PM

The fact that you have to wait a long period of time to be able to boot-up again leads me to believe that this is not a software problem but rather a heat related hardware problem.

I think that something (probably on the motherboard) is expanding when warm and breaking a connection. When it cools down, the materials contract and the connection is re-established.

If this is a desktop rather than a laptop, open the case and gently and very carefully make sure all connections are tight. (With the computer shut down, ground yourself to its frame by touching it to eliminate a possible static electricity charge which can hose any of the electronics on your computer).

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:34 PM

I'm really leery about whacking a hard drive (although I did have a car with an electric fuel pump that needed a whack now and then).

Once you get into Windows, run a few of the tests from this post: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/ (Don't do the system stripdown yet).

Once that's done we'll have to choose between hardware and software troubleshooting - software's more complicated (and longer), but hardware is more expensive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 kbrownie

kbrownie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi all, I've checked all connections and run the scannow, it says there are dll files missing and asks for the xp cd but i did'nt have one with my pc as it was preinstalled, what do i do now? thankyou.

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:19 PM

hunt each Dll individually. (you'll have to google a website, I don't have one offhand)
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users