Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading From Outlook Express To Outlook - Problem

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sipickles

sipickles

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hi,

I am new to bleepingcomputer. It's excellent!

My question is this:

At work I have upgraded my computer recently. The new PC runs windows XP home SP2 with Microsoft Office 2003 (plus upgrades). As a result, the email client is Microsoft Outlook.

I have my emails from my old machine saved as .eml files on an external harddrive. This was using Outlook Express. My problem is that XP calls .eml files 'Outlook Express Email Message', and consequently opens them in Outlook Express, not outlook.

So I tried right-click>Open with... and browsed for outlook. All this achieves is creating a new blank outlook email with the old .eml as an attachment. Not the idea!

Is there anyway I can convert the files to open in outlook, not outlook express, so they can be replied to, forwarded, etc.

Or can I configure Outlook better?

Thanks

Simon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:30 AM

Hi Simon, welcome to BC.
You can use either apps import\export function but the messages must reside in the program itself.
Copy your OE e-mail messages from the external drive back in to OE's inbox.
Open Outlook 2003 and click File>Import and Export>Import Internet Mail and Addresses.
Choose Outlook Express and make sure "Import Mail" is the only option checked below.

#3 sipickles

sipickles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:54 PM

Hmm, I thought of that, but its not that simple.

Th emails are all saved into relevant project folders. There are 100's! I want to retain them in that directory structure, since it took alot of work to put them there!

I am sad when microsoft overlook a very important feature like this. I mean why have the facility to save emails they then can't be opened with outlook?

:thumbsup:

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:04 PM

Do this, open outlook express. Create the folders in Outlook Express so thats its organized how you like it. Now drag the eml files into the specific folders and import this mail into outlook by using outlook's import command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users