Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free Downloads

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:13 AM

I've heard of many free downloads available including free anti-virus, anti-spyware, free programs & the list goes on......

I also heard that some site are actually created by the hacker themselves, and downloading a 'free ware' from here is dangerous.

May I know if there's any 'trusted or safe sites for downloading freeware"

For example, Im currently looking for a tool called Reshacker for my post previously:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72391/spybot-search-destroy/

I have trouble opening that link, so I wonder if it's possible to get Reshacker from elsewhere.
There's many sites offered 'free Reshacker download' (more than 25,000 sites from the result of download Reshacker).

Can anyone provide a few links for download?
It will be great if the link provide many downloads such as http://www.filehippo.com/.

-verons-
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:43 PM

None of the usual freeware sites have the file, but I did find a copy.
McAfee SiteAdvisor shows this site as safe.
I downloaded the file and scanned it with AVG, and no infections were found.
Looks safe to try.
Resource Hacker v3.4.0

For my Freeware, I've found these sites to be safe:
softpedia.com
majorgeeks.com
snapfiles.com
nonags.com

NOTE:
Always scan anything downloaded from the internet, with your Antivirus, before opening it!!

Edited by tg1911, 18 November 2006 - 12:45 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:18 PM

Thank you tg1911, just what I'm looking for!
Hope there will be more list added for safe download sites in this forum in future. :thumbsup:

I have a suggestion:
Since most tools are downloaded and tested safe for use (for example AVG Free, Spybot SD),
why not the moderator / admin team create a new extension for this forum (maybe name it Downloads),
and make available the exe. files instead? So instead of going to the links, which sometimes not available or expired, we can get the exe. files here. Then we can get the updates from their site after having the program file installed. Of course the exe. files are tested safe for use, then only made available here. Im not saying everyone can post a exe. file, but just the admin / mods here, so this plan will not be abused.

*Just a suggestion... *

Regards,
-verons- :flowers:
Veronica Yeoh

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

We've got a large selection (and always growing) of safe freewawre alternatives, listed here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps

The list is updated on a regular basis.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Another good source for free (and not free) downloads is CNET's

http://www.download.com/
All of the files have been reviewed for spyware, have descriptions of what the applications do, reviews, and ratings by users. The latter can be used to determine how the application performs and would surface any kind of problem users have had with it.

The problem with having even the (relatively) few applications available for download (once any legal issues were resolved) would be both server storage space and bandwidth; moreover, maintaining these files so that the most current version is available to our members would be a major and redundant task.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

I have used this site more than once when I used windows
http://lists.thedatalist.com/
haven't used it in over a year . Lot of Free and Pay "stuff" + info links

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#7 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:24 PM

Thank u everyone for the replies :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:34 PM

You're welcome, Verons88.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users