Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spyware Adware Remover Program

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:49 AM

Hi, I would like to get some knowledge for running my anti spyware programs.

1) While performing a scan, is it ok to do other task at the same time?
For example, working in photoshop, excel, logging into bleepingcomputer forum & posting, writing emails, etc..
2) Will it be more efficient if I perform the scans in Safe Mode?
3) If threats were found, shall I quarantine it first before delete / remove it?
(I usually quarantine it, and if my pc is working fine, I will consider deleting it)

Prog I currently have:
*Spybot SD
*Ad-aware SE Personal
*AVG antispy 7.5
*AVG Antivirus
*Spyware Blaster
*XoftSpy SE
*Sygate personal firewall

-I would like to know if I need anymore useful spyware I should have

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:
-veronica yeoh-

Edited by Verons88, 18 November 2006 - 01:25 AM.

Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sha2

Sha2

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Hi, I personally run my security progs with the computer running nothing else. I'll generally set one of them away if I'm away from the comp for any length of time. So I wouldn't recommend doing anything on the comp while security progs are running. I wouldn't run in safe mode unless you already have a problem you can't resolve. I don't think there would be a lot of benefit gained. I think it's always best to quarantine for a while first.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

Running Anti-spyware applications whilst performing other tasks would slow down the scanning, especially if these were scanning a large, full drive, and I would be hesitant about doing anything related to files while one was working.
Scanning in Safe Mode does two things: it speeds up the process and provides malware fewer places to hide themselves in protected areas.

I would always quarantine files for at least several days before deleting them.
Given that each company has different criteria for spyware, sometimes the more stringent of them will recommend deletion of cookies from sites you use, or files needed by an application for proper functioning. In addition to these considerations, mistakes or false-positives are always a possibility.
By temporarily quarantining files, you have the option of restoring any that you either need or were recommended by mistake.

Lastly, there are many additional anti-spyware applications that you could install, but here the law of diminishing returns seems to operate. You have the "top three" installed, and I would think that between them, they will find almost all the spyware you might have installed, certainly all the serious offenders will be covered.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:22 AM

Thanks Sha2, and many thanks for the helpful info John.

I guess I have a problem starting in SAFE MODE.
*I have not tried starting my PC in safe mode from the day I bought it (few months ago)*

This afternoon I tried starting in safe mode by restarting my pc, then press F8 a few times, and a boot up screen appeared. It was a big blue box with these instruction:

Please select the boot device
1st floppy Drive
SM-GCR-8525B
SS-Lite-On CD-RW SOHR-5239S
3M-ST380817AS

Where is the 'safe mode'??
I tried starting my son's pc (win98) in safe mode & I can see safe mode option is on the screen, but not with my this PC (WinXP) :thumbsup:

Pls advice...
Thanks

-veronica yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:10 AM

Another option to try, to get into Safe Mode, is the System Configuration Tool method, described in this Tutorial?
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

Thanks tg1911.
I actually have seen that method, but just that I'm not very familiar with System Configuration Utility. So I was thinking something must be wrong when I am not able to see my 'Start in Safe Mode' when I hit F8 during restart.

Anyway, I've done starting in safe mode using System Configuration Utility, and did some scan.
jgweed is right, it really provides malware fewer places to hide themselves in protected areas.
I just discovered that I got 3 more infection from adware after scanning in Safe Mode.
It was found in my system restore! (Although all my scan results is Clean without safe mode...)

Thanks again, it really helps :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:53 PM

You're welcome, Verons88.
Here's a program, recommended by usasma in the Freeware topic, that would make booting to Safe Mode even easier:
BootSafe
Quote from usasma:

It's a free program (doesn't require installation) that sits on your desktop. Double click on it and select one of the 3 Safe Mode options and click on Reboot.

The system will automatically reboot into Safe Mode. No need to fuss with trying to press F8 at just the right time during the boot process.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:00 PM

Another alternative is to use a tool like BootSafe which allows you to easily reboot into safe mode and then back to regular mode again without using the F8 key.
1. After download, double-click the BootSafe icon to start the program.
2. Select which Safe Mode you wish to boot - Minimal, Networking, Repair.
3. Click the "Reboot" button.
4. When you have completed your tasks, run BootSafe again and select the "Normal Restart" option.
5. Click the "Reboot" button and your computer will reboot in Normal Mode.

Edit: Hey tg1911, I see we were both thinking the same thing but you beat me to the post.

Edited by quietman7, 24 November 2006 - 03:01 PM.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 Elendil

Elendil

• Members
  • 660 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:45 AM

Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe with BootSafe:

If you use bootsafe.exe to enter safe mode you MUST also you it to reboot back into normal mode?
I've tried several times to get back out of safe mode by rebooting normally; however, it loops me back into safe mode. The only way I've managed to get out is by using BootSafe again to reboot into normal mode.

Edited by Elendil, 25 November 2006 - 11:45 AM.

Stanford '14
B.S. Candidate | Computer Science

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,947 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

From what I see in quietman7's directions in steps 4 and 5, yes you have to set Bootsafe back to normal then hit reboot.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

you have to set Bootsafe back to normal then hit reboot

Correct. You run BootSafe again and select the "Normal Restart" option.

#12 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 07:23 PM

tg1911, quietman7, Orange Blossom, Elendil Thank you for all the replies.
I've got bootsafe on my desktop now.

*So, I need to use Bootsafe to start & exit safe mode. (the first 2 options- normal restart, safe mode minimal)

Can someone give a rough explain on the other 2 options?
Safe mode - networking
Safe mode - Directory Service Repair.

Just want to know how to make full use of it.

Thanks again :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:26 PM

Description of Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP

Directory Service Restore Mode: This mode is valid only for Windows-based domain controllers. This mode performs a directory service repair.
Safe Mode with Networking (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Network): This option uses a minimal set of device drivers and services to start Windows together with the drivers that you must have to load networking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users