Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Onetou~2.exe

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 worried dragon

worried dragon

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

Hi there,

I have a visioneer scanner and know this exe is usually part of the software. But most days I have some activity from it which shows up in task manager. Is it phoning home??

I thought initially it was because the scanner is left switched off (only occasionally used these days) and assumed that the One touch monitor was searching for it. But switching the scanner on makes no difference.

The PC is a p3 850 with 512 ram and using XPpro. Everything is OK according to AVG, Adaware, Spybot and Ewido.

I posted a while back because I heard the processor doing extra work and I followed the procedures suggested and it all came up clean. I caught it doing it again earlier and its definitely onetou~2.exe showing up as busy in task manager. It actually interrupted the graphics on the web page I was on - the page shuddered when I moved the mouse over and links. Once I'd deleted it from task manager the page acted normally.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:37 PM

Onetou~2.exe is related Visioneer OneTouch scanners. It loads at startup in the system tray and provides qick access to the control panel for the scanner. However, this process is not necessary to run at startup so try disabling it.

If you have have Spybot S&D 1.4 installed, launch it, go to Mode and select Advanced. Then go to Tools, select System Startups. You will be provided with a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with them disabled. You can always go back and tick any of them to re-enable the startup entry. Other startup managers you can download and use for free are Startup Control Panel, Autoruns and Starter by CodeStuff.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 worried dragon

worried dragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:36 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:05 PM

Thanks for that I have unticked the "offending "item. I didnt realise there was this much more to Spybot and I've used it for a few years!!

I'll monitor it over the weekend to see if this extra activity has stopped.

Have there ever been any cases of this exe being "taken over" by something else??

:thumbsup:

Edited by worried dragon, 17 November 2006 - 11:07 PM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:11 AM

Have there ever been any cases of this exe being "taken over" by something else??

Not that I am aware of.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users