Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Hard Drive Installation

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 connor7555

connor7555

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:08 PM

HP Pavilion
OS = Windows XP Service Pack 2
1.7 GhZ Celeron Processor
1 GB of RAM
AVG Anti-Virus
Mozilla Firefox Browser
MaxBlast 4 Software

One of my office computers recently received messages from the SMART monitoring system that hard drive failure is imminent. I purchased a new Maxtor drive and was going to replace the original drive. I formatted and partitioned the new drive and copied all files over with the new drive in the slave position.

I made the mistake of using a 200 GB hard drive to replace the old 80 GB hard drive. I think (not sure) because the main partition is greater than 137 GB the new drive is now unrecognizable to the BIOS. When I restarted with the new drive in the master position (and the old drive disconnected) the machine doesn't even know that the drive is there at all.

The drive was recognized until the formatting process was complete.

Any suggestions on what I can do to make the new drive recognizable again?

1) Could I erase it and use it as a storage drive on another machine?
2) Could I erase it and repartition less than 137 GB and use it on this machine as the boot drive?
3) Could I install software on this machine to make it work as is?
4) Have I totally ruined the drive???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:19 PM

Did you install the OS on the new hdd?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:53 PM

Yes, I copied the whole drive using MaxBlast 4. I've done this process before on two other machines and had no problems. The only difference this time is that I used a 200GB instead of a 100GB for the new drive.

The only other thing I am beginning to wonder is if static electricity maybe fryed the drive. I had unplugged the power supply and touched a metal desk for ground but it may have happened anyway.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

The BIOS should recognize the hdd, it will only recognize 137GB of it without the sp2. Did you reset the jumper, check the IDE cable, and the hdd's location on the IDE cable?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:14 AM

It must be ruined. I left the jumper on cable select. I tried the old drive on the same cable and location and it still works. I also tried to move the new drive to two other machines and they do not recognize it either.

Edited by connor7555, 18 November 2006 - 09:15 AM.

#6 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

I doubt if the drive is ruined. Try moving the jumper. To Master for the primary or Slave for a secondary drive.

Back to your original problem. On many systems, the IDE/ATA interface uses a 28-bit addressing which cannot recognize more than 137GB of storage. To overcome this capacity barrier, drives higher than this capacity have adopted a 48-bit addressing system which can be supported in newer computer systems with updated controller chips, BIOS codes, and operating system drivers.

The problem could be just a BIOS limitation problem on your system. Check your system documentation and see if there is a 137GB limitation. Also, contact your system manufacturer (HP) and see if there is a BIOS upgrade that will fix the problem.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:04 AM

The first step is to go to the manufacturer's site and use their tools to work on the drive. This happened to me with a W-D drive - and their tools notified me about the issue and corrected it for me. There are settings in the drive, settings in the BIOS, and settings in Windows that affect this.

You can also partition the drive to less than 137 mB and use the extra space for another partition to store data on.

Also, there may be an update for the BIOS that will address this. Read the "read me" notes for the BIOS upgrades available to see if this could be the cause.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for your help. I still have had no success though. I tried to move the jumper to master, slave and cable select setups - the computer still does not even react as if the drive is there at all. With the drive setup as slave - I went to the maxtor website and tried to use their tools but they cannot run because it does not detect anything but my original hard drive.

When connected - I don't even hear any noise or signs of life out of the new drive - I'm about to throw in the towel.

I don't think I'll be able to get a refund because it was functional for about an hour (copying files to it) before disaster struck.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:56 PM

Generally the manufacturer of the drive gives a several year warranty on the drive. Contact them for information about returning it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

I bought it on ebay so I don't know where I stand as far as a warranty - I'll give it a try though. I got it for $55 so, although frustrating, its not a huge loss. I picked up a new 80G drive at a local store today and the installation went very well.

I'm just glad that I can post on here and know that I tried all options I could before throwing in the towel. You guys have given me great advice in many situations.

Thanks.

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:34 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:49 AM

Sorry to hear it went bad for ya, my wife works for Ebay in the fraud dept. From the stories she brings home, you have to be very careful about buying computer and electronics from people on there. There are a lot of bad people out there.
Maybe you can leave some feedback on your purchase... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 connor7555

connor7555
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

I don't really have any complaints about my ebay experience. I have 8 Desktop PC's at my office and two home PC's and I've bought several parts over the past couple of years.

I have bought cheaply priced case fans, processor fans, hard drives, RAM, Audio Cards, Motherboards, etc. and everything has been always been fully functional. However, I buy all new parts that are still in the original packaging - nothing used or refurbished.

This is the first piece that has ever been a problem. It was functional for about an hour before it went bad and the package did not appear tampered with.

***I have contacted the manufacturer - they checked and verified the serial number and determined from my description that the drive is defective. They are sending me a replacement drive free of charge. Under warranty - just like you said usasma!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users