Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Connect Another Computer To The Internet

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Matthew.

Matthew.

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hi there.

I have just reformatted my other computer, once again. For some reason, the other computer has no connectivity to the internet. It is currently plugged into a router port and the computer does not say anything about internet connectivity. What do I have to do to get the internet up and running on that computer?

Also, I've tried plugging the cable modem directly to that computer and the computer still does not say anything about internet connectivity. I've also tried establishing an internet connection as well and tried all the possible choices I could've picked from but still no luck. Once again, thanks for the help.

-Matthew.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:53 PM

Hi, Matthew...

I just finished assembling a computer with fresh hard disks just like you did. I followed instructions, and Installed Windows XP. when it completed the installation, It required that I register the Windows, but , like in your case it had no Internet connection, even though it was plugged into the broadband modem.

I was in a hurry, and I had forgotten to install the Utilities disk that came with the Motherboard! After I did that, then everything else came to life! The Drivers for the Lan Ports were on that disk.
I guess you need to find the Utilities disk and do the same?

MAX

#3 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:33 AM

Hi Max3808!!

Thanks for the information. Now I got a clue of what to do with the computer. But the main problem is that the computer did not come with any CD's, other than the Microsoft Works Suite and Windows Media Center CD. I don't know why it never came as a whole package but yeah.

Is it possible to look for the utilities on the internet? Also, I don't really know what utilities I am looking for.
Thanks again for your help.

Matthew.

#4 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hi, Matthew!

There's quite a lot of information available for general questions if you just go to a Search Engine like G**g** and type in something like "network connectivity" and press search.

You don't need to look for driver utilities 'cause most of them are already included in the Windows Istallation disk. But if you really need them, you need to go to the Manufacturer's site to download them.
What I have done with an unknown Motherboard is to type the name of the motherboard (large letters printed) into the Search Engine, and add the words "specifications" to find out more about what I'm working with.

I'm not sure that I can insert links in this forum, but If there's any specific question I'm sure some of us here in this forum might be able to answer it.

It seems your problem is that in the basic setup of your computer does not recognise the Internet connection.
In the computer:
Before loading Windows, press "Delete" to enter the motherboard SETUP SCREEN to check if your LAN port is ACTIVATED. (don't change anything you're not familiar with)

Starting from the Modem, working backwards:
does any other computer/laptop have a problem linking up to the Internet with your modem?
(obviously not, 'cause you're writing back, right? haha.)
does the lan cable you are using with that computer have a problem? (was it performing normally before?)
does the lan port (green LED) in the computer you want to link with light up or blink when the cable is connected?

These tips may seem a bit too basic for some, but even some computer salesmen seem not to know this.
I don't mean to be condescending but I've had pals who remark ..."I didn't know that!" ... "I just turn it on and it normally works!"

Regards,
Max3808

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:48 PM

Use this free utility to identify most of the hardware on your system (doesn't even require installation): http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

If your system is made by a major manufacturer - just surf to their website and go to "Support" to download the drivers for your make/model of PC.

If it's not, then post the info here and we'll help you get to the right sites for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:46 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:38 AM

That software is brilliant. If you don't have anyway of downloaing it though you should be able to find the info for the Motherboard on the board itself. They normally have product codes. Just search that in Goog** and download all the drivers realted. Or go to the manufacturer as stated above.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#7 Matthew.

Matthew.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 07:48 AM

YEAH!!!

Thanks guys for all your help. I finally got the internet working. The utililty disk that you were talking about was basically the windows installation CD.

Wow? I thought they could've been more clear because with Windows Media Centre. Since it came with 2 installation CDs, it could've said something about SP2 being on the first CD. The first time I reformatted, I had inserted disk one first. Then, half way through, it asked for disk 2. After disk 2 was complete, it asked for the windows SP2 CD, which I did not have. After some of your input, I reformatted again and put in disk one again when it said insert SP2 CD and there it was. Who would've known that SP2 would've resided in the first CD itself. After that was complete, everything is working fine again.

Thanks so much for your help guys; I really appreciate it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! =D

Edited by Matthew., 20 November 2006 - 07:51 AM.

#8 max3808

max3808

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 07:41 AM

Hi, Matthew...

The disk I was talking about actually was the UTILITIES disk that comes with a NEW motherboard. If Intel motherboard, then Intel disk.
That provides drivers for all the different on-board CHIPS. Not the latest drivers, though. For those, and also the latest BIOS, you have to go to the Manufacturer's website, like USASMA mentioned...But if it worked for you, then GREAT! Problem solved, right?

But thanks for the tip with the Media Centre Installation disks! Yes, it could have been clearer, and I was set about switching disks hoping for the best like you did! You found another MSBUG! haha.

Thanks again all 'round! :thumbsup:

Max3808.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users