Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Shared Printer On A Workgroup With Shared Computer Toolkit

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:07 PM

We have a computer lab of four computers running XP Pro SP2 and are on a workgroup call LAB. The printer connects to the only computer that has a parallel port (a Dell Dimension 3000) and is shared over the workgroup. (the other three PC's are Dell Dimension E520's)

I wanted to deploy Microsoft's Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP so as to lock down the user accounts on each machine. I tried it first on the computer which acts as a print server. While the user account was indeed locked down tight, I was no longer able to access any shared printers or folders on that computer from another computer unless I was logged on as the Administrator. That, of course, is not good.

I need to set everything up so that I can use the Toolkit to lockdown the user accounts while still sharing network resources (the printer is a must; shared folders would be nice, but not necessary).

The printer has both a parallel port and an ethernet port but the ethernet switch doesn't have any spare ports (and I have no budget to buy a new one, and no one will give me one :thumbsup: ).

One thought I had was adding a second LAN card to the Dimension 3000, connecting the printer via ethernet cable and bridging the connection to the other card. Never done that before so I'm looking for a little advice before I go tearing LAN cards out of our spare-parts computer.

Any ideas would be appreciated, not just ones about bridging the connections. :flowers:

Specs:

3x Dell Dimension E520
1x Dell Dimension 3000
All running MS Windows XP Professional SP2 +all patches and updates
MS Shared Computer Tool Kit for Windows XP
Printer: Brother 2070N

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 17 November 2006 - 05:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:14 PM

If I were you I would configure your printer with a static IP address and bypass hosting the printer throught another computer. That is clumsy and far less efficant than using the onboard print server. You can use telnet to access the print server and assign the static IP address. I prefer static IP addresses on my LAN just so it is easier to access the computer for maintance. That is just me. It is not nesseccery, or even advised for my users.
I have included a couple of links, including one with the networking software.

http://www.brother-usa.com/printer/printer...ODUCTID=HL2070N
http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/p...glish&dlid=
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users