Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Real Vnc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Marc007

Marc007

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:58 PM

Hi folks

sorry if this is the wrong foum for this thread.

I have downloaded VNC onto my own computer and also my folks computer. They often have little probllems that need solving. This would be ideal.

When I start VNC viwer it asks for the server - I put in my folks IP address but it wont connect to it. I presume this is because my folks IP is 192.168.x.x As far as I know this is only a local address behind their own router? Am I right? How do I get their actual mac address? Is this what I need?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:05 PM

Are you in the same house?

Actually what you will need to do is find the IP adress of their house. This is easily done by going to www.whatismyip.com and it is written right there.

Also if I understood correctly they have a router? Wich means if you are connecting from outside of their router (if you live in another house or whatever...) then you will have to set up Port Forwarding. This is fairly simple to do and I can help you do it if I have your router make and model.

Cheers
Klink

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:24 AM

There are two sites I recommend that have extentive information about port forwarding.

http://www.PortForward.com/
http://www.dslwebserver.com/

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 Marc007

Marc007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:15 AM

OOOhhhh the dreaded port forwarding. I have a little experince of this trying to configure Azurez torrent dowloader. It was a pain in the ass.

Anyway thanks for the advice. You are right that I am living in a different house and I want to connect and control remotely. I presume would have to open the ports on their PC rather than mine? or both?

thanks folks

#5 chynhuei

chynhuei

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:27 AM

I presume would have to open the ports on their PC rather than mine? or both?

you only configure the port for the computer you want to control with vnc

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

If you are going remote access another computer (ie. Mom, work, friend) over the internet I would buy the version that has the encryption pack. You can also try MS Remote Desktop Connenction.
Also if you do not have a firewall program on both computers it would not be a bad idea to install it prior to starting this little project. I have been using SyGate 5.5 for quite a while, and while no longer supportd, I find it very effective.

SyGate 5.5 Free Personal Edition
http://www.dslwebserver.com/main/fr_index....p-overview.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304304

Edited by acklan, 19 November 2006 - 11:52 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:51 PM

As an alternative - I like the free service offered by LogMeIn.com - once you install their applet, it's as easy as clicking on a couple of links and you're in!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

www.gotomypc.com is another good one.

I would say this sounds like a firewall issue aswell. If the port forwarding is setup then it is likely to be a firewall issue. Most firewalls will block VNC by default. I have the same issue in my wireless network at home and VNC is stopped by the router firewall.

I know this can be set as a exception I just hvent bothered yet.
Posted Image

#9 Marc007

Marc007
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

thanks for all the advice folks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users