Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Vista Rc1

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 sgerbitz

sgerbitz

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:48 PM

Hi, I am trying to install Windows VISTA in VMWARE..

Host Computer

P4 1.8GHZ
1GB RAM
80 GIG HD

I created a VMWARE Enviroment using 512MB RAM and 20 GIG Space, and I am using damware to load the iso of windows vista.

When VMWARE boots up, all I get is "WINDOWS IS LOADING FILES".... and thats it, it does not go further.

What could be the issue?

Edited by sgerbitz, 17 November 2006 - 04:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:23 PM

You have to upgrade from something to Vista, because it's not an install disc like XP is, if you run 98SE, or something.. run the vista cd on that. then choose custom on the options, go to the end, delete the partion (it won't, but tell it to) and go to instalation, Vista will automatically reboot, and go into setup, then it should work

ALSO, I would devote more than 521 to vista, at LEAST 640, othewise it'll barely run (I have 640, and it isn't so happy aboutit, it fights me to do things)
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:09 PM

You have to upgrade from something to Vista, because it's not an install disc like XP is,

Um, no. You can get a full install, just like one would with any other operating system.

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:28 PM

You have to upgrade from something to Vista, because it's not an install disc like XP is,

Um, no. You can get a full install, just like one would with any other operating system.

no you can't. because the drive won't pick up Vista untill it's been run inside the current os. I tried that myself, all it did was boot to XP (which is what I had at the time)

Maybe misinterpretation is the issue. yes, you can get a full and complete install. but it has to be run on some form of windows before any drives will pick it up as a system DVD

Edited by DemonSui, 18 November 2006 - 12:29 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:48 PM

Ok. So you are trying to tell me that when they go to install Vista on a brand new system that they are going to have to install another version of Windows first, or do you suppose the install disks have the necessary drivers to create the install environment?

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:26 PM

Better not happen on the new system that I'm building!!! Seriously, I've installed many of the Vista builds and it has usually balked at an upgrade - it prefers a clean install.

But, the VMWare may have something to do with it - I'd suggest checking their forums.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:58 PM

Ok. So you are trying to tell me that when they go to install Vista on a brand new system that they are going to have to install another version of Windows first, or do you suppose the install disks have the necessary drivers to create the install environment?

It extracts the drivers to your current computer. I don't know about a completely new hard drive, but if it has had some form of windows on it, you have to start with an upgrade. (Just choose Custom, and overwrite that partion and it'll be a fine, clean install)

I tried to get it to pick up from the DVD drive before running the utility from XP, I HAD to run it through XP

Edited by DemonSui, 19 November 2006 - 06:59 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:34 PM

You said that you have to install it as an upgrade. I think it is safe to say that it worked a particular way for you under a particuloar set of circumstance.By your own admission, you are only familiar with only that circumstance , and it should be stated that way. I told you about my experience which you promptly told me couldn't happen. Now you're telling me that you don't know what happens on clean installs. You seem eager to help, and we appreaciate the help. We have our hands full. However, if you are not careful and thorough about the advice that you give, you will quickly loose credibility.

As Usama pointed out, and on which I can elaborate knowing what I know about XP, VMQare, and Vista, a single gig of ram with a 1.8 processor is going to be hard pressed to run. In addition, depending on which release you have, you may need to format the virtual drive before Vista will install. If that is the version you have, then you can either install a version of Windows and upgrade, or use a bootdisk to format the partition. Some people claim that the disk must be formatted NTFS before Vista will install, but if DemonSui's claim that 98SE will work, then it appears that it just needs to be formatted. Everything I have seen claims that Vista needs NTFS, so I am not convinced.

#9 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 09:38 PM

ok, you misunderstood what I said, no biggie, I'll explain what I meant.

Any version of windows can run the DVD, and I know that my drive, upon reboot, didn't even see the disc there, no prompt or anything. I stated that any form of windows had to be installed. I had XP, with a NTFS partion, and still it would not take to it. I had to run setup inside my current OS to make it install. it extracted files into some area of my hard drive, then proceeded to reboot and install from there.

the Vista DVD is not a normal os install DVD, it is designed to upgrade what you already have. That being said.. you can delete the partion once windows reboots, and that is exactly what I did.

Edited by DemonSui, 19 November 2006 - 09:39 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#10 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:15 PM

No, the Vista Beta cd is fully bootable and acts as a setup disk. How do I know? I am running it from vmware.

The problem here is an incompatability with the video driver with vista and vmware. To fix this read this blog entry:

http://www.msblog.org/2006/09/14/installin...re-workstation/

I had to do the above steps as well.

#11 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 02:33 PM

as usual I look like a fool lol. I should really stop stating personal experience as fact :huh:

PSP M33 USER.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:20 PM

No, you're not foolish - we each relate our personal experiences with it. With enough input, a consensus is arrived at. It's the give and take on these forums that I enjoy - it teaches me more that I'd learn on my own!

FWIW - Vista forums are poised to catch the brunt of the problems that occur with the release of the RTM version (in pre-built PC's) on November 30th. Initially we won't have a lot - but the groundswell will start then - and will increase with the public release on/about January 30th.

It's our experiences here that will guide the new Vista users. All of our opinions are needed - that way the new folks will have choices.

Edited by usasma, 21 November 2006 - 08:23 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 automan821

automan821

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

i have installed vista on both of my computers the hp desktop everything went perfect and matched up great all the drivers are working except for my ati tv tuner card not bad my toshiba lap top is a different story clean install on both but on the laptop i cant get drivers for the touchpad or the extra buttons yet that will work other wise working great

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

FWIW - I installed some of the early beta builds (52xx, 53xx and 54xx) on my Toshiba M45 laptop and my Synaptics touchpad worked just fine with no additional drivers (not even the Toshiba ones - I just used the built in Vista drivers).

Vista is a graphics heavy OS - and there have been many issues with video drivers (I submitted a bug or two for the nVidia drivers myself - and several for hibernation issues that I believe were related to the video drivers). I've also had troubles with the ATI tuner cards in XP. My solution was to go with a Hauppage PVR-250 video capture card. To my surprise, Vista found it, went out on the web, got the drivers, and installed them - all without me telling it to.

Edited by usasma, 21 November 2006 - 09:20 PM.

#15 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

I have 5600 on mine right now

PSP M33 USER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users