Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Meteor Shower Satuurday Nite

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:26 PM

Now that the rains have moved off the east coast we should be able to get a good viewing of a strong meteor shower. This saturday night at about 11:45 pm ET(4:45 am Sun for the Brits) a Leonid meteor shower should be occurring and last about 2 hours with a peak somewhere in the middle of that time, but not neccessarily. During the peak it could produce 100's of shooting stars per hour. Although most of those small you should still see a good amount.
So if you get a chance get out there a 1/2 hour earlier so your eyes can adjust to the darkness. Dress appropriately for your environment. Find a dark location with a clear view of the eastern horizon and keep scanning.

Meteor watching tips

The Leonids are bits of debris left behind by repeated passages through the inner solar system of the comet Tempel-Tuttle. Each November, Earth crosses various trails of debris, which have spread out over centuries and millennia. Dense debris trails have caused incredible meteor storms in years, past, notably 1998 through 2002
The Leonids are so-named because they appear to emanate from Leo. The meteors can race across the sky in any direction, but trace each one back and it'll point to Leo.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:53 AM

I will try. Sounds neat. I have never stayed up for one of these as most are like at 3 am or so.

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

Anybody heard, whether this will be visable from the southern hemisphere?

DSTM.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

I did find this bit today:
Keep in mind that for New England and U.S. East Coast, the peak is due locally on the previous calendar day, Saturday, Nov. 18, at 11:45 p.m. Eastern Standard Time.

For the Canadian Maritimes and Bermuda, the corresponding time is 12:45 a.m. on Sunday, the 19th. For Newfoundland it is also on the 19th, but at 1:15 a.m.

Not sure DSTM, but can you calculate your local time to proposed peak at 4:45 am GMT Sun Nov 19.
I may be daylight by you. But you can look at a star map find constellation LEO. All meteor trails will come out of Leo. Maybe that helps.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the info, boopme.I googled GMT, and Sydney is GMT+11hrs,so by my calculation it will occur at 3.45 pm in the afternoon.I'm disappointed. Anything to do with our universe fascinates me. :thumbsup:

Cheers DSTM.

Edited by DSTM, 18 November 2006 - 01:59 PM.

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Well if it doesn't clear up I won't be able to see anything. *pout*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 10:50 PM

Yeah it's gotten a bit cloudy here right now too :thumbsup: Hi Pandy
well still got about 1/2 til I go out and look.. I think it'll be OK... :flowers:

btw you're welcome DSTM and sorry it's afternoon by you... I'll keep ya in mind for events that are down under

Edited by boopme, 18 November 2006 - 10:54 PM.

#8 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:03 PM

Hi boopme!!!!

It was too cloudy. I couldn't see a thing. *pout*

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

I forgot it last night...oh well

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 19 November 2006 - 11:52 PM.

#10 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:05 AM

Was too overcast in central Maryland to see but only a couple of streaks.
And those might have been local air traffic?
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:11 AM

Yes, unfortunately the clouds kept rolling in. There were some but after about an hour it was tooo cloudy.
I'll have to talk to St.Peter and see if we can get a replay. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users