Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Wont Shut Down Properly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wai

wai

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:48 AM

Hi All

This seems wierd but whenver i choose shut down, it gives me a screen like normal shutting down but without the words "savings your setting....." followed by system hangs.

Need to push restart button, but start up is ok. Recently deleted McAfree and installed Zone Alarm. Do not ask me to recover system because I do not have the CD or anything. HOpe someone would help me here. Thanking you in advance. (Have to "force" the system to shut down by holding on to the "start" button) :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:31 PM

Shutdown issues are really a PITA to troubleshoot. In my experience it's usually caused by a program refusing to shutdown (and Windows insisting on shutting it down).

The first thing that I'd try would be to terminate all unneeded services in Task Manager before shutting down (make a list of them). Then see if it shuts down OK. If it does, then it's the fault of one of those services that you terminated. If not, then we've gotta look elsewhere.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

Everyone suggests services.. You can try a scan of indexes of important files, (wrong term?) I had the same issue and this is what I had to do.

Click Start
Click Run
enter "SFC /scannow" (I have been told this might require the XP CD, I had an I386 folder on my PC
wait untill done and try to shut down properly. If it does you're fine.

Edited by DemonSui, 17 November 2006 - 05:38 PM.

Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:38 PM

The reason that everyone suggests services is because they are the most common cause for this sort of problem. FWIW - if you use SFC.EXE to fix it, then you've likely got a lot of other problems to contend with also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

the only one I ever really hear about is the Xp disc. I had a I386 folder, so I didn't need it

PSP M33 USER.

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:23 PM

Hi wai, :thumbsup: to BC

It sounds like some program is refusing to let go during your shut down. Try using Microsoft's user profile hive clean up program to see if that clears the problem.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Good Luck :flowers:
There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

Unfortunately, every time you power off like this, you might be causing more and more trouble. Spoken from experience :thumbsup: and then Scandsk will be needed. Do it before you defragment.

Microsoft's hive cleanup is a good utility. I know it's used a lot in Windows2000/NT, and can be used in XP as well.
Whether it's McAfee or Zone Alarm or any other good firewall - these programs hold on till the bitter end for obvious reasons, to protect you. So it could be now ZA. But the disappearance of "saving your settings" sounds more serious than that. That message should come up and then Windows should deal with processes still running.

Try this. Before shutting down, right click on the little ZA icon in the system tray on the right. Please wait a few minutes (1-2-3). Go into Task Manger and confirm that you do not see vsmon.exe anymore . You must wait. And you must not kill the task there.

Then try to turn off the computer in the normal way. If it works, you'll know what to tell the hive cleaner.

If the firewall is not the culprit, you'll need to do something similar for other items, but be careful. Killing any old task may kill your machine.

Edited by tos226, 17 November 2006 - 11:17 PM.

#8 wai

wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:51 PM

Hi All
Thanks very much indeed for all the prompt replies,will be trying out methods mentioned and will keep you all posted,once again all help apreciated. :thumbsup:

#9 Cavillas

Cavillas

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:42 AM

Could also be that eternal favourite, a corrupt windows exit sound file.

#10 wai

wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

Hi All,
You guys are really great,tried the task Manager by first disabling my ZA firewall.After doing the scan......yes it works!Everything back to normal.......so relief but quite puzzled by the issue of firewall in this case.Seems like firewall is holding back the shutting down process.Anyway thanks a million you guys and I shall resume using my favourite FF with everything intact just like before.

Regards :thumbsup:

#11 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:11 AM

You aren't finished yet.
Once you reboot and shut down the problem will reappear. All you did was shut off ZoneAlarm one time.

Click start/programs and move your cursor to zone labs.
Choose the uninstall option.
Reboot and then reinstall Zonealarm.

You probably have some problems in the registry now resulting from the hard shutdowns. Run chkdisk and then scandisk.

After finishing those, open Internet Explorer and run the Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are. If you are lucky, it will unscramble your registry.

#12 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,588 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:32 PM

At this point, after you do everything Enthusiast said, follow Post#6 in this thread. The hive cleanup.
One other thing I would do is memtest86-v1.65 from memtest.org. Memory errors will do that. I saw it with my own eyes.

I read someplace once that there is a way to set something in the registry for windows to wait longer for processes to stop - does anyone remember?

Edited by tos226, 19 November 2006 - 05:33 PM.

#13 wai

wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 03:56 AM

Hi Enthusiast,
Pardon my limited knowledge I uninstall ZA and reinstall according to your instructions,but where and how to run chkdisk and scandisk.I usually use ad-aware to scan Pc.Your help and advice greatly apreciated.Seems like theres hidden faults in the registry like what you mentioned that make me a bit anxious to get to the root of the problem here,thanks again.Regards

#14 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 09:48 PM

To Run CHKDSK:

1) open "my computer" (also located in the START menu)
2) rightclick your MAIN harddrive (usually C:\)
3) go to properties
4) select tools
5) "Check now"
6) make sure BOTH boxes are checked
7) click OK
8) reboot and let your computer alone for about 30 minutes

Edited by DemonSui, 22 November 2006 - 09:49 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

#15 wai

wai
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 03:17 AM

Hi tos226
went to memtest.org tried to download but only zip file available and not able to run test on my pc due to me not being able to open the file.Any suggestion or method you can assist me here,thanking you in advance.Regards and yes demonsui if you're reading this thank you for your help in chkdsk. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users