Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error: The Disk Is Not Formatted. Format The Disk?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drumset

drumset

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Suddenly my pc has started not to read my secondary hard drive, my external usb Lacie Hard drive, all others usb memory pens and all cdrom inserted in both the cd drive i have

The message I get is: "The disk [drive letter] is not formatted. Format the disk?". (I get that in italian, but that should be the exact translation).

BUT if I move my Lacie usb external hard drive, USB pens or CDROM to another Pc, they will be read perfectly. Then it is not a problem of the drives.

Note that I have a usb wireless mouse and it works, and also my adsl usb modem works, so it can't be a general USB problem.

AMD ATHLON XP 1800+

Let me know if you need more informations.
Thanks in advance,
Paolo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Are there any red x's or yellow !'s shown? If so, this is likely a motherboard/chipset driver issue. To "fix" it, just install the latest updated drivers for your motherboard/chipset from the manufacturer's website.

Let us know how this works for you - we'll have plenty of other suggestions if it doesn't!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 drumset

drumset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:24 PM

Usasma, thanks for your advice.
I've done what you say but i have no red x or yellow ! in that panel...
Any other advice?
Otherwise i'm lost...
Please help me
Paolo

Edited by drumset, 19 November 2006 - 06:25 PM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:19 PM

First step is to try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/ Let us know what it finds.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jimi089

jimi089

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 25 December 2007 - 12:20 PM

I am having this same issue. My external drive is recognized fine by other computers, but not by my main machine, which says it needs to be formatted.

#6 jimi089

jimi089

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:22 PM

P.S. - It shows up fine on another computer, so it seems to be specific to this computer.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,567 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 01:41 PM

Check the jumper settings?

Louis

#8 jimi089

jimi089

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 December 2007 - 02:25 PM

Wouldn't jumper settings only be applicable for an internal drive? This is an external USB drive. It says it needs to be formatted on my main machine, but if I hook it up to another laptop, it shows up fine. It's not recognizing the FAT32 information for some reason.

#9 yanman1003

yanman1003

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

I'm having this same exact problem. I'm running on Window Vista Home Premium 32 bit. My computer won't allow me to use any of my USB ports. I'm asked to "Format the Disk" whereas the flash drives work fine on all other computers. What can I do to fix this besides a system reformat?

Thank you in advance for any help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users