Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sync. Out Of Range Warning

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:48 AM

Hi, my son recently did something to the display in control panel. Now when the computer starts, it display a box with 'sync. out of range' warning. This icon (as below) is floating on the computer screen, the whole monitor is black with just the warning showing.
Posted Image
(hope u get what I roughly drew, it's the monitor with it's warning showing)

This is what happen when I restart it by hitting ctrl alt del,
-The start up load (or do u call it the BIOS window, then the Windows 98 welcome screen shows, then the monitor will go black and the small blue box will float diagonally at the screen. Nothing happen even if I press any key, except ctrl alt del, which will only restart. I manage to hit Del during start up, which brings me to e 'menu' screen, but dont know what to configure there.

can anyone help me pls??

Specs-
-Windows 98
-Pentium4

Thanks
-Veronica yeoh- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:37 AM

Sounds like the screen refresh rate has been changed to something, incompatable with the monitor.
Try this:
Go into Safe Mode.
How to start Windows in Safe Mode
Control Panel / Appearance and Themes / Display / Settings tab / Advanced button / Monitor tab
Set the Screen refresh rate: to 60.
Apply / OK
Reboot, and see if that works.

Or, see if this helps:

WARNING:
This is a registry edit. If you're not comfortable with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
How to back up, edit, and restore the registry

"Out of Frequency"
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:07 AM

I've tried running in safe mode, go to Control Panel / Appearance and Themes / Display / Settings tab / Advanced button / But there's no Monitor tab. It only has General, Adapter, Performance at the properties.

Control Panel / Appearance and Themes / Display / Settings tab / Advanced / will lead me to a Unknown Device properties.

I then try regedit:

# In the Registry Editor dialog box, double-click HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, Config, 0001, and then Display, Settings.
# In the right pane, double-click RefreshRate.

There's no RefreshRate at the right hand window.
This is what I saw at the right panel:

Default (value not set)
Attach to desktop "1"
Bits per pixel "16"
Desktop Pos "240,212"
DPI LogicalX "96"
DPI PhysicalX "96"
DPI PhysicalY "96"
fixedfon.fon "vgasys.fon"
MouseTrails "0"
oemfonts.fon "vgaoem.fon"
Resolution "1280,1024"
Upgrade to Default ""

For your info, the monitor is Samsung SyncMaster551s (15" monitor)

Thanks
Veronica Yeoh

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:08 AM

I've got it fixed!

I actually locate the Refresh rate from the 'Adapter' menu, then I change to 'Default' (my son changed it to 'not known' previously)

Thanks tg1911, glad that I dont have to go thru the dangerous regedit! (I actually have exported the 'setting'. Guess I dun have to use it now)

:thumbsup: -verons yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:21 AM

Sounds like it's about time to get your son his own system - just to protect yours!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:32 AM

Sounds like it's about time to get your son his own system - just to protect yours!

That is my son's own comp, usasma :thumbsup: It's my old pc. I got another one for myself, thats why I can look at the answers from bleepingcomp on My pc to fix my son's pc, lol.

The only problem is that my son's pc is at the living room, and mine's in the study, so can u imagine I was running in & out my living room looking at the 2 pcs??

Cheers
-veronica yeoh- :flowers:
Veronica Yeoh

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:43 PM

You can use a free program such as VNC to view his system from your system - cuts down on the running around! I've got 2 kids (and 6 computers) at home - without a VNC type app I'd be running back and forth all day long.

For the kids, what I do is make an image of their system in it's "pristine" state (before they've gotten to tweaking it). Then I let them play with it until it breaks. Then I reinstall the image and they're back up and running within 20 minutes! (I also password protect the BIOS).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:01 PM

Thanks usasma, VNC sounds like a handy tools to have.
May I know where can I get it? Any link to download it?
Does VNC acts like a 'boot up disk', or some kind of 'northon ghost'?

If it's really can keep my son's pc running again in 20 mins,
I would like to use it on my pc too! So next time,
I can make an image for my pc, and use it if my pc crash.
And hopefully I can view my "pristine" state from his pc. :thumbsup:

Regards;
-veronica yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:52 AM

VNC
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for the link, tg1911.

I've checked it out. Sounds complicated to me...
Since my son's PC has no internet connection, I guess VNC dont work for me at the moment. Unless I get a new ADSL modem router with several ports. (Now my modem has only 1 port to allow 1 PC to be connected to internet)

Looks like I got to opt for some back up tools to fix my son's PC when it crashed....

Regards,
-verons- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:55 AM

VNC will work with a PC to PC connection - it doesn't have to have internet access to work.

The programs like Ghost and Acronis True Image (there's also some free versions out there - but I haven't used them) will make it easier to restore his system. I keep an image of all the systems that I work on (at home and in the wife's office). That way we can restore Windows in 20 minutes on any of them.

But the downside is that (unless you backup regularly) the 20 minute restore won't restore anything that was done between the time you made the image and the time that you restored it. Just FYI - the images are very large and will require another drive or a bunch of DVD's to copy it. (I usually follow this with a long post about how to backup to ensure that this isn't a problem - but that can come later :thumbsup:

Edited by usasma, 19 November 2006 - 07:57 AM.

#12 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

Thanks usasmas,

Ok.... see if im using the correct way:

1) I will first reformat his PC (because it's already too 'clog up' and near a crash state...
2) Install all the drivers(monitor, motherboard, etc)
3) Install all the necessary programs (utilities, etc)
4) Then I will create a back up.
So, if I need to restore the system, it will be in the state just like everythings installed.(step 2-3)
Is that the right way to do it?

BTW, what free program is easy to use to create a back up? Cos I never do use any back up prog before.
When my PC got problem, I used to send it to the repair shop, which they will usually refomat it. I believe I don't have to do that anymore since I've found this forum and I really would like to learn how to fix my own PC.

(Windows 98SE, P4 motherboard, 1.8ghz, 256 ram, 40gb HDD)

**Pls move this post to the proper post regd PC back up if necessary..

Thanks in advance;

-verons88-

Edited by Verons88, 20 November 2006 - 03:22 AM.

Veronica Yeoh

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 10:05 AM

The free programs that I mentioned are usually available at the website for the manufacturer of the hard drive. They will "clone" your hard drive so that you can reinstall that image later on. I haven't used any of them - so I can't tell you much about them.

This is different from a backup - it copies everything on the disk and also remember's it's location on the disk (essential if you want the disk to boot up afterwards). Backups only copy the files and not the location.

They're very big, so you'll need a place to store 'em (either on DVD's or another hard drive). You'll still need to do backups tho' - because that data will be erased when you restore the "clone".

There's 2 ways to do this:
1) Backup your data regularly - then you can restore it by copying it back
2) Point all of your data to another drive. That way the "clone" will remember the way that it points - and it will then point to the other drive which should have the data on it.

#14 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:32 AM

I've downloaded a tool called Cobian Backup. (both win98 & win XP setup)
I have not install it yet because I'm waiting to see more feedbacks from this program.

I Really hope I can find a good and easy to use backup program, there's many available, but I'm afraid I'll get stuck in the middle of a back up, and mess up with the data if I don't know how to use the prog.

I've read vnc at the home page, but still couldn't really got the idea how to gain access to server and registering the server. I've tried installation, but abandon the installation halfway when Im at the step of "Register and Configure VNC for Server for Service Mode / Start the VNC Server in Service mode...."

usasmas, I hope u can provide me with the step by step guide as if 'VNC Set Up For Dummy'
Though I don't really know the prog well, but by listening to what u describe, I would like to learn more abt it and use it. Meantime, may I know what cable I shall but to connect 2 pc together? And do I & my son need a specific port for pc to pc connections?

Thanks in advance

-veronica yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:39 PM

Sorry, but I haven't used VNC in a couple of years. There'll be others here who can help out much better than I could.

Many, many experienced folks that I know swear by the Cobian program. I use SyncBack myself - and have purchased their shareware version because of the extra features that it offers.

But, here's the key with any backup program. You have to restore the backups to ensure that they work as intended. Without this test you're just hoping that the program will work as advertised - with the test you know it will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users