Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Shuts Down While Playing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 hinton

hinton

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:04 AM

a month ago i was playing with a PC game (lego star wars) and all of a sudden my screen just shuts down (black, starts looking for the signal, then goes into stand-by).
since then, any game i try will give me the same result.

i opened the case and removed the slot where the modem is located, so as to give the video card (nvidia geforce fx 5700le) more room to breathe, but nothing.
also, a coule of times the screen showed horizontal bright-colored lines, always to the same result: i have to force-shut off my HP pavilion a 120.it

nvidia drivers are up-to-date, XP is constantly updated.

one thing though: i noticed the fan of the driver card does not rotate easily. don't know if and when it is supposed to go on, but i wondered wether that was causing a prob.

with ntune installed i can access nvidia monitorview, where a log tells me that my CPU temp. is as follows:

Current Time (F) (F)
2006/11/17 10:57:11 222992.2 32

Current Time (C) (C)
2006/11/17 10:57:15 123866.8 0

that seems terribly hot to me!

thanks for any help

Edited by hinton, 17 November 2006 - 05:08 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:53 AM

a month ago i was playing with a PC game (lego star wars) and all of a sudden my screen just shuts down (black, starts looking for the signal, then goes into stand-by).
since then, any game i try will give me the same result.

Is it only the monitor which shuts down or is it the whole computer?

one thing though: i noticed the fan of the driver card does not rotate easily. don't know if and when it is supposed to go on, but i wondered wether that was causing a prob.

What do you mean with "not rotate easily". Is it full of dust and stuff and getting stuck? You could try cleaning it, and the rest of the computer. Cleaning the Interior of your PC

with ntune installed i can access nvidia monitorview, where a log tells me that my CPU temp. is as follows:

Current Time (F) (F)
2006/11/17 10:57:11 222992.2 32

Current Time (C) (C)
2006/11/17 10:57:15 123866.8 0

that seems terribly hot to me!

First things first: Check under the table (or wherever you keep the computer) and see if there is a pool of molten lava there. If there is then the temperature reading is correct, otherwise there is either a problem with the chip reading the temperature or the program reading the data of the chip.

Lets start with the second possibility. Download Everest and see what temperatures it is reporting.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

You're describing problems that are usually associated with an overheating video card (especially since the fan is having problems).

Yes, the temperatures are a tad bit high (sarcasm intended) But this could be caused by damage to the sensors by excessive heat.

I'd suggest trying another video card. If you don't have one handy, get a cheap one from a retailer that you can return if it doesn't work.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users