Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Space

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 purple people eater

purple people eater

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:26 AM

Hi Guys
I was wondering if anyone could help me with this problem.
My computer keeps telling me that virtual memory is running low, and when I checked, I only had 2 GB of memory left. The trouble is that I'm supposed to have 7 GB free on my computer, and I haven't installed any new programs or anything that could take up all the memory.
I have just removed more that 4 GB worth of programs and files, but the computer is still telling me that I've only got 2 GB of free space. I don't know what's going on.
Could somebody help me please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 xtatik222k

xtatik222k

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

Try deleting all of your system restore files. (I assume you're using Windows XP)
Start >> Control Panel >> If it says 'category view,' click the 'Switch to classic view' in the top left corner under the control panel tab. >> Click System >> System Restore Tab >> Turn off system restore on all drives. Once this is done, turn it back on and click apply then ok.
Warning: Make sure your system is stable before doing this. Like, make sure you recently haven't had any problems or anything, as your system restore files will be premanently deleted after this.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:13 AM

Virtual memory is a space on your hard drive that is used when the regular memory isn't able to handle the task. It's actually a file named pagefile.sys on the root of your hard drive. The regular memory (also known as RAM) isn't on your hard drive - but both are measured in mB and gB's.

So, if you're running out of virtual memory it could be because your hard drive is too full. But it could also be that there's a problem with the virtual memory file (called a pagefile or swapfile) or a problem with the a program that's trying to access it improperly. Finally, if you have a fixed pagefile, it could be that it's just not large enough (and can't resize itself since it's fixed).

Open up Task Manager by pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and then click on the Performance tab. You'll see 2 graphs that describe your pagefile, and below it there's a table that describes your physical memory (the Total is how much is installed on your system). This is also known as RAM.

So, first you'll have to check your pagefile (virtual memory) settings. Go to Start...Run...and type in "sysdm.cpl" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

Then click on the Advanced tab
Then on the Performance Settings button
Then on the Advanced tab (it's another one)
Then on the Virtual Memory Change button
On this page there should be a check mark that says "System Managed Size" - If not, then check it and click OK to exit the dialogs. Then reboot to let the changes take effect.

So, let us know if this helps out - then we can move on to more advanced techniques like recreating the page file and troubleshooting the applications that may be causing these messages.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 purple people eater

purple people eater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 08:25 PM

Thanks usasma. I'm no longer getting the virtual memory is low message, but every time I clear things off my computer, the memory decreases instead of increasing. Do you have any idea of what could be causing this?

And thanks xtatik222k for your help, but I think it might be too risky to delete my system restore files.

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,095 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 18 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Have you emptied the recycle bin?

You are using the term "memory" when I believe you mean Hard Drive capacity/ free space.

What operating system are you using? What is the size of your Hard Drive?

A good cleaning can help. Suggest you use Windows One Care to clean your temp files, logs, registry.
It will also scan for malware and defragment your Hard Drive. Of course, if you don't have enough free space, it may not be possible to defragment.
http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:38 AM

Hi purple people eater.

Further to the suggestions above, I would recommend SEQUOIA VIEW available HERE. It will give you a graphic view of every programme on your HDDs by size and it is easy to see what is bloating your system. Mousing over each will tell you exactly where it is located. An excellent programme and fun to use.

The pagefile takes overload from your RAM to your HDD and it is usually recommended that the size be set at least 1.5 times your physical RAM. If you can set up your pagefile on a separate HDD this works better as you then have two heads doing the work of reading and writing.

Buddy215 makes a good point about whether you are concerned about 'memory' or 'free disk space'. I imagine you are talking about both.

xtatik222k also has a good point re 'system restore points'. These can take up a lot of space, which is usually fixed for this purpose, but they can also contain infected files if your system is infected when the restore point is made, so it is not a silly idea to clean them out occasionally. When you are happy that your machine is running smoothly, you can make a new restore point then go to START/All Programmes/Accessories/System Tools/Disk Cleanup- more options - system restore cleanup, which will delete all but the most recent.

Good luck. Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:24 AM

A good place to start is by ruling out malware as a cause of this. Try this free, online scan: http://safety.live.com/ It'll also clean out your registry, your Temp files, and will defrag your hard drive.

Where are you looking to see that the memory is decreasing instead of increasing? It depends on which tool you're using as to what we suggest.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users