Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:47 AM

I've installed Mozilla Thunderbird installed and made it my default mail client.
Previously I've been using Yahoo mail, cos my email address is at *****@yahoo.com.

May I know how can I make Thunderbird to retrieve my mails from yahoo?
Also, with my yahoo messenger active, I can see if there's an incoming mail.
Normally I can just click on the mail icon and Im instantly at my inbox.
But how can I do that with Thunderbird?

* I'm clueless even at how to Creat a new account....
I dont know whats my Host name, whether Im using POP or IMAP, incoming server, and all those required field...
How can I get the information for my server and emails settings?

Pls help

Thanks

-veronica yeoh-

Edited by Verons88, 17 November 2006 - 02:20 AM.

Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:25 AM

Have you checked out the Help section?
It should answer most of your questions.
On the Thunderbird toolbar, click Help.
In the dropdown, select Mozilla Thunderbird Help.
On the page that opens, select the step-by-step tutorial link.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:13 AM

First, be sure that your Yahoo E-mail account even supports POP E-mail access. Go to Yahoo Mail, and click on help, then look for POP entries. As I understand it, the free Yahoo Mail does not allow you to use POP to download your E-mail into a client such as Thunderbird or Outlook Express.
If you are using Yahoo's premium service, then this information should allow you to set up an account in Tb:

http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html

See also:

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Creating_account...email_providers

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:19 AM

I've checked that out, but still I dont know my server information. I've called my ISP, but they say they don't provide help for Thunderbird email setup, they will only deal with STREAMYX Email. ( I dont use it at all, all the while I've been using yahoo mail for my inbox and sending mails)
For your info, IM in Malaysia.
Do you know any tool that I can detect and save all the info I need regarding my server, host name, IP address, just like a HJT file?

According to my user guide booklet from Streamyx, here is the detail:
The POP server: pop.streamyx.com
The SMTP server: smtp.streamyx.com
Your username when configuring your email Program should be: <username>@streamyx.com

Question:
1) Identity
email address - should I use my yahoo mail address?
2) Server Information
I checked POP
Incoming Server: I typed pop.streamyx.com or is it yahoo.com> I always get this 'pls enter a valid host name'
3)Outgoing server I put :smtp.streamyx .com
4) Incoming username: what to put? The name I sign up with my ISP or my email name?
5)After all the steps, I got this message: Alert: Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.streamyx.com responded:Authentication failed.
6) Then at the enter a new password, I tried entering my ISP password, my yahoo mail sign in password, but still not valid.

Pls help

Thanks

-verons-
Veronica Yeoh

#5 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:44 AM

Ok, I've print out and follow the giude on http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/pop/pop-03.html

I've typed in all the Incoming & outgoing server details, account name, etc.
Just that after I finished thru the steps, I got this Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com responded:Invalid user/password.

I've actually uninstall and reinnstall the Thunderbird, could it be I've clicked
"Use password manager to remember this password" for all the wrong password I typed in before I get it uninstalled?

How can I clean all the traces and password I have messed up before that?

Thanks,.

Edited by Verons88, 17 November 2006 - 09:47 AM.

Veronica Yeoh

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:51 AM

You need to use your ISP's information to set up a POP account for your ISP's E-mail service, and then create a separate account to access your Yahoo account, using the Yahoo servers, etc. that I linked to earlier.
Do not mix the two server's settings, passwords, E-mail addresses; keep each one in its own "account." And be very very careful about making sure you enter the information needed precisely as instructed; quite often, a problem can be traced to not proofreading each and every entry you make.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:29 AM

If you don't have POP3 support for your Yahoo email, here's a handy little freeware tool that I use for checking my Yahoo emails with MailWasher and Thunderbird: http://www.ypopsemail.com/

It sits in the system tray (takes up about 6,900 k of memory) and converts the Yahoo email to POP3.

Edited by usasma, 17 November 2006 - 09:29 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:54 AM

Im using yahoo mail beta, the free one :thumbsup:
Thanks for the link usasma, am checking it out...
Meantime, hope someone can help me clean the traces I left at Thunderbird, because after I reinstall it, my POP ans SMTP details is still there. I can only delete some user account, but cant find the delete info for the settings I've done previously.
Veronica Yeoh

#9 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:47 PM

Well, I've finally get the installation fixed.
I found a useful link here (after hours of searching help reagarding thunderbird)

http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbi..._free_yahoo.htm

This link describes the Step By Step set up well enough. Hope this link will help others who have the same problem like mine, too confused and mixed up for server name and account.

Regards'
-veronica yeoh-
Veronica Yeoh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users