Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Ethernet To Work

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ComputerNoob70

ComputerNoob70

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

Hello everyone.
Well I just recently installed windows xp home edition onto my computer, first thing I tried after the installation was to try and hook up my comcast. So I plugged in my ethernet cord and turned on the computer, I went into network connections and it said that my cable was unplugged, so I unplugged and plugged back in my cables, no dice. Then I went into device manager, under network adapters I clicked on my SiS 900 PCI fast ethernet adapter (onboard adapter), it said its working properly. Then I notice under Other devices, it says PCI simple communications controller, and its not working, so I then try to update its driver, even though im not sure what it is. It says that I need to go online so it can search for drivers automatically, so I plug in my modems USB cable, and install its hardware, then I setup my msn and had internet. So I go back to device manager and click on the PCI simple communications controller under other devices, then try to update the driver, it searches online for awhile then it says cannot find the proper drivers, It also gave me the choice of putting in a floppy disc. Not knowing what to do I went out and bought a cheap 15$ pci ethernet adapter card at compusa. I then put it in one of my free pci slots on my motherboard and turned on the computer. It didnt say new hardware found or anything, so I went to device manager but it didnt say anything under network adapters except the onboard ethernet adapters name. So im pretty sure my PCI slots arent working properly, and I cant get the ethernet to work on it. The only thing I can see thats wrong is in my device manager under other devices it has PCI simple communications controller and theres a ? by its name, I cannot update its driver online.... help.....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:35 AM

If the PCI simple communications controller should be on a cd that came with your motherboard, or the drivers cd that came with the computer from the computer manufacturer. It should also be on their support site.

How are you connecting the computer to the internet?
Are you plugging the cable/dsl modem into the computer's ethernet connector on its built in nic or do you use a router and a network?

#3 Kendel_Guy

Kendel_Guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

I no longer have a cd or floppy disc that came with the computer, I guess thats what I need to fix it, since I cant find the drivers for the pci. I use a USB cable from my modem to connect to the internet. I have another question, I went into system information and it says the system manufacturer is PCCHIPS, and below that it says BIOS Version/Date American megatrends, is one of these the motherboard manufacturer? Or could you tell me where I need to look to find out who the motherboard manufacturer is? If I knew who it was I could go to their website and get a contact number or email.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

PCChips is most likely the maker of your motherboard - but you'll still need the model number to get the drivers. You can get more information by using this free program: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users