Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dhcp For A Lan Party

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:16 PM

I have done a few lan parties and because we use switches we have to manually assign an IP to every computer and that can be a pain in the rear end to keep track ect... So I thinking is there a way we would set up a DHCP server (like the ones you find in most routers...) that would automatically assign an IP to everyones computer...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:26 AM

Probably would be easiest to use a router and let it take care of all that. There is software available to do this - but I don't have any experience with it (I used a google search for "DHCP Server software")
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:35 PM

If you have a windows 2000/2003 server it has a dhcp server built in you can use.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 03:43 PM

Ok but if I understand right? I just use a regular ethernet cable from the switch to the router (BTW I shouldn't need a crossover cable since it is all automatic...) and it should assign IPs automatically?

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 05:57 PM

If you have a switch that all the comps plug into, plug one of its ports into the minihub on the router. You may need a crossover cable to get a link lite, but you will know it works if everyone has internet access through the router.

Then log into the admin interface of the router and turn on DHCP. If everyone on their machines has it set to obtain an ip address automatically you will be allset.

#6 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:07 PM

Ok so basically if I get the map right...

Wire from peoples computer to switch and a wire from switch to router that has DHCP enabled. Then make sure they have it set to obtain IP automatically??

Will this work if I have multiple switches cascaded together?

So simple but if this is correct and works will save us so much hassle..

#7 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,593 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

Yup thats about it.

#8 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:11 PM

And we have been running 100+ people lans without this... I feel like we we're in the stone age...

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 19 November 2006 - 04:17 AM

If you switch has a DMI\DMIx button you will not need a crossover cable. By placing the button in the DMIx position it will make the crossover internally for you. I have 24 port 3Com switches and they are built in. Many routers are auto sensing and also do not require crossover cables. Others have the same DMIx button that I described the switches as having.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:49 PM

Wow! Great thread! Thanks for all the great info. I've learned a boatload of stuff here!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 06:32 AM

So you have been using static IP on a 100+ network when the PC's come and go all the time. This must have been a nightmare.

DHCP is def the way to go. Through a router will be the easyest way.

If the users change often then you will need to set a few perameters in the DHCP server side of the router. Make sure the IP lease time is set at 1 day. This will mean that it will only hold the IP address in the table for a day before it is reassigned. This does depend on the frquency of the users swapping connections. The other thing if you have 100 user make sure the DHCP IP address range will cope for more than that as some will not be assigned due to lease times. Maybe 150 - 200 would be suitable.
The other thing to do is to make sure the Gateway address is correct. This will need to be set as the router IP address.
Posted Image

#12 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 PM

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:27 AM

While not a gamer I have setup a LAN for a game of 124 computers. We choose to use static so that other gamers could find each other easily. How we sorted out the IP assignments was the member's account for the year was an internal IP address. So no matter what LAN party they went to they could be identified on the LAN. This also allow a role call and tracked user play time. They were above a standard router. When it was set up they had a server just to route members traffic. They travel the state having games in different cities each month. This is way over my head, other that pulling wire. They tried wifi be that was a disaster.
As my little girl says WTMI (Way Too Much Infornation).
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users