Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wininet.dll File Not Found But Not Because It Isn't There

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 moczarny

moczarny

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

Hello,

I received the message that wininet.dll is not found when loading windows. I tried going to safe mode and automatic restore to an earlier time, but it just keeps retrying to load normal windows.

I made a copy of wininet.dll onto a CD and tried to copy it to the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory through the task manager which is the only thing that allows me to get to the directories. Upon doing that I discovered that the file was already there, but when I tried to overwrite it or delete it or move it or rename it, I received the following message:

Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

I know what a CRC is but Why can't I get rid of the file that is there to copy the new one?

To make sure I don't have a hard drive issue, I tried renaming at least 20 other files in the directory and had no problem. Thus, the file must be corrupted, but why can't I get rid of it to copy a new copy?

Any idea on how to get around this keeping in mind that I can't run any programs and want to avoid reloading Windows XP Professional would be appreciated.

Thanks,

p.s. btw, I found the below done by miekiemoes from another post on the same subject which was very useful and got me to where I am above.

Normally when you log in in windows... you can open your taskmanager by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL together.
In taskmanager, click > applications > new task > browse
Now you will be able to browse. Put the cd where the wininet.dll is present in the cdrom drive and browse to it via taskmanager.
You have to select the option in taskmanager to show all files instead of only showing programs (dropdown-menu under addressbar)

Then rightclick on the wininet.dll and choose copy
Then browse to your C:\Windows\system32-folder and choose "paste"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:51 AM

"Description:
wininet.dll is a module that contains Internet-related functions used by Windows applications.

Note: wininet.dll is a process which the Troj/Zlob-AO trojan tries to disguise itself as under the true process name of %systemroot%\mscornet.exe. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system."

Where did you make the copy from? The Windows XP Installation cd?

Did you post a HJT log or did you just read that reply in another post in the HJT forum?

Are you having connectivity problems in Microsoft Internet Explorer?

Maybe the following can be helpful:
884931 - How to use the debug version of the Wininet.dll file for Internet Explorer
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#3 moczarny

moczarny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:08 PM

Hello,

Thank you for the reply.

I made a copy of the Wininet.dll from another computer of mine that also has Windows XP. Both computers had the latest upgrades (SP2). The wininet.dll files from both computers are the same in filesize and date, so I figured they are likely the same version.

I was able to see the wininet.dll file on the bad computer through the task manager. I doubt that the copy I have has a virus. The problem was when I tried to overwrite the file on the bad computer I received the "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" error message. When I tried to delete, rename or do anything through the task manager to the wininet.dll file on the bad computer I received the same CRC error message.

I did not post a HJT log. I copied text from a reply to a post originated in the same Windows XP Home and Professional Forum dated Jan 23, 2006 by 1ncentive. The post is titled "Wininet.dll was not found, Explorer.exe - Unable to Locate Component". The situation that 1ncentive described is the same as mine. The difference is that the wininet.dll file was still on my computer but likely corrupted. The issue I need resolved first is the "data error (cyclic redundancy check)" error message, so I can get rid of the bad wininet.dll file.

There is no way for me to download a file or use Internet Explorer. No matter how I start, even using F8 to get to the Advanced Options Menu it will only come up in Normal Windows. This is similar to the 1ncentive post from Jan 23, 2006.

(To be more specific, the computer starts Windows XP and I get to the screen asking "To begin, click your user name". No matter which username is used the next thing that happens is that it loads the screen background for that user and then I get the Explorer.exe message.)

btw, if it matters, the computer with the issue is a Dell Dimension 4600.

Sorry for the long reply. I hope the above detail helps.

Thank you. I look forward to a recommendation of how to get rid of the corrupted wininet.dll file on my bad computer that is getting the "data error (cyclic redundancy check) error message. If I can get that resolved then hopefully the rest will work.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:35 PM

This may be cheating, but you can generally "fix" most IE6 problems by reinstalling IE.

To do this with SP2 installed, just uninstall SP2, reboot, then reinstall SP2, then go to Windows Update and download the 50+ updates that you'll need.

If you don't have SP2, then just upgrade to it in order to repair IE6.

Or, you can upgrade to IE7 from Windows Update

Or, you can use a Live Linux distro or a BartPE disk to change the files in that environment.

FWIW - if you right click on the file and select properties you should be able to verify the versioning of each copy.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 moczarny

moczarny
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:06 PM

I'm sorry, but the last reply was not in regards to my problem. It is nothing to do with Internet Explorer. Please reread through my problem. Before I can address the Wininet.dll file missing issue I need to remove the corrupted wininet.dll file already there which it isn't allowing me to do. Can someone tell me how to remove it, after reviewing in my posts what I already tried.

Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users