Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Reset To Standard Text On Pc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:46 PM

For some reason my pc reset the text option to italics so that this is how most text appears, even though I don't want it to. I know that it is a simple operation to reset to the default text setting, but since I haven't had to deal with this in recent memory, I can't seem to remember where to go to do this. Could someone please set me in the right direction?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:32 PM

if this spans all of XP, rightclick the desktop (no icons)
go to properties
theme: something esle similar to what you're using now
Let free your emotions so I can destroy them!

PSP M33 USER.

MY new PC is a laptop and I love it.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:21 AM

I'm not sure that's what ToborTheGreat is wanting to do.

My computer done the same exact thing a few weeks back. The text was the same, no matter what web site I visited, or what I typed.

If my memory serves me correctly, I went into the Control Panel, then went to Fonts, and selected the font I use (Verdana) (True Type)... and I believed I just double-clicked on it, and the rest is history.

I don't know if the theme will change the font... but if it does... that's good to know.

#4 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:34 AM

theme changes everything. wallpaper, font and appearance settings, and screensaver

PSP M33 USER.

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:06 AM

theme changes everything. wallpaper, font and appearance settings, and screensaver

I will have to check that out... because when my problem occurred, I had no intention of changing my theme,, I just wanted my font to change. So if I wanted to keep my same theme, but change just my font, how would I do that?

I just tried it, and it didn't work for me. Plus I also read the theme description and it doesn't mention anything about fonts. it says:

A theme is a background plus a set of sounds, icons, and other elements to help you personalize your computer with one click

Anyway, If a person changes their theme and don't like their font, how do they change the font?

#6 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 01:14 AM

it's on the appearance tab, I don't have my pc available right now or I'd give a step-by-step
(using my PSP right now)

PSP M33 USER.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:38 AM

What exactly did the text change on - what programs?

Or was it system wide?

#8 ToborTheGreat

ToborTheGreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

Thanks for the replies. Actually, I had already tried both methods. As I didn't see anything regarding italics in either the desktop properties option or the control panel fonts, I didn't do anything in either. After reading DemonSui's initial reply, I just returned to desktop/properties/theme and noticed that it was set at "Modified" (I wonder what the modification is). I don't recall setting it there myself; in fact, I'm pretty sure I did not. So I set it to "My Current Theme", whatever the hay that is. Seemed more familiar anyway. The italics are gone from IE and a WordPad text I had been working on, so maybe that cleared it up.

As far as desktop/properties/appearance is concerned, as before, I didn't see any choice affecting the fonts in there except size.

I guess control panel/fonts will do pretty much the same thing, assuming "true" means nonitalics. However, I did not see anything in there indicating what my current setting was.

Were the italics system wide? Pretty much (& I may find the little buggers yet, but looks good so far), but I found it not to be absolutely uniform. For example, of 2 WordPad texts within one file, one was italicized and one was not. I had used italics in neither when I typed them. The one that was could not be unitalicized without changing the font, and the italics button was not depressed. I didn't do a systemized check on all programs affected, but it was pretty much across the board.

I must agree that theme seems too general a topic to fine tune fonts, but if it works it works. I would like to know more about these themes, info seems a bit vague to me. Oh yeah, and "Modified" doesn't appear on the drop down...

I suspect a virus---trojan, maybe... Will run antivirus/spyware again, but that's a whole other topic, and I've lots to say on that score.

Thanks again. :thumbsup:

#9 DemonSui

DemonSui

• Members
  • 325 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

no probelm. It's best you save settigs as they are now, and throw the file it creates to another disc somewhere, so you can easily restore your theme. Italics can come from a user error most of the time, never seen malware do that (but I'm no malware expert, yet, it's possible). (If I can quote an old teacher a moment.. "Computers are stupid, they'll only do what you tell them to..." (on Vista, quite literally too) but yes, malware can tell it to do bad things )

Modified is some modification you made. IE: changed wallpaper, changed taskbar color (on xp there are 3 settings for it, on MCE there are 5, 2 mce and the 3 XP), just simple, small things.

Edited by DemonSui, 21 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

PSP M33 USER.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users