Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Changed Ram Speed Now Won't Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 huntedflamingo

huntedflamingo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

I recently finished putting together a DAW pc. It consists of:
-Biostar NF4UL-A9 939 Motherboard
-AMD opteron 165 CPU
-G-skills DDR-500 2 GB kit
-250gb SATA II WD HDD
-Poney Nvidia 6600 256mb ram
- 550watt antec true power
-Benq DVD-RW drive
-Zalman 7700 cooling fan
-plus a cool rack mount case with tons of fans.

Here's my problem. I put it all together loaded it up with Windows XP pro and everything was working great.
then I noticed that in bios it showed my ram was set at only 200mhz, yet it should have been running at
250mhz out of the box (DDR-500) So I went into bios and changed it to 250mhz and now the my PC won't boot
up anymore. I'm really stuck here and I don't know how I can change the settings back if I can't even boot into
bios. I was hoping to start overclocking the opteron 165 modestly but I never even got that far.
Any suggestions??
Thanks!!

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 16 November 2006 - 07:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:16 PM

To reset your BIOS either read the manual to locate the "shorting" pins and short it according to the instructions

OR

Unplug the system from the wall, then remove the CMOS battery (the shiny round thing the size of a nickle) and leave it for 30 minutes. Then put the battery back in, reconnect the power cord and boot it up.

FYI - overclocking is best done in small steps. That way you can see the instabilities develop before the system locks up.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 17 November 2006 - 02:01 AM

Even though the RAM is rated to run at DDR-500, it might not be rated to do it at default voltages. Keep in mind that when you increase the HTT from 200 to 250 you overclock the whole machine. Besides increasing the RAM to DDR-500 you also increased your CPU to 2250MHz, and unless you locked you PCI frequency you overclocked that as well and risked hard-drive corruption. The HTT which you increased is the central clock generator to which everything else runs in sync.

Easy as 1, 2, 3, Overclocking the A64, Optron, X2.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users