Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Automatic Shutdown

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mike b

mike b

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:58 PM

Can anyone please help me?!? :thumbsup:

I have a very strange new problem with my computer, it seems that every time that I try to delete files to the recycle bin or move files around in the regular explorer of my windows xp os my computer restarts itself and then tells me that my system has just recovered from a serious error.

I have scanned my system with a number of anti-virus and spyware programs and all have ended telling me that my system has no threats.

What is wrong with my system?

PLEASE HELP! What can I do to repair my system?
music, music music...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:52 PM

What is the serious error that it recovered from? Any clues that you might give us can help. Have you done anything significant to the system recently?

Do you get a Blue Screen with white lettering (the dreaded Blue Screen of Death (BSOD))?

Have you checked your Event Viewer for errors? Here's a quick how-to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:29 PM

i did not do anything out of the ordinary before the computer started to restart itself.

i don't get the blue screen of death (thank g-d).

the system error category number is 102 in the event viewer and it usually comes after 'save dump' or 'sevice control manager'.

i hope this information will help you help me solve the problem :thumbsup:
music, music music...

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:54 PM

Search your hard drive for files ending in .dmp or .mdmp. The following link will tell you how to perform an analysis of the dump file, then post the analysis here and we'll see what we can find in it! http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:22 PM

Error signature:

BCCode : 1000007f BCP1 : 00000008 BCP2 : 80042000 BCP3 : 00000000
BCP4 : 00000000 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

The following files are included with the error report:

WER9a53.dir00\Mini111606-08.dmp
WER9a53.dir00\sysdata.xml

Is this what you need?

Let me know

Thanx
music, music music...

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

Have you addrd any new hardware or software recently?

See if you can paste the complete bugcheck in here.
They usually give a file name as a likely cause.

Another thing you should do is disable the automatic restart so it posts an error (blue ) screen which may give us some helpful info.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
Right-click My Computer.
Select Properties.
In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
A new window will open:

Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note:
Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

Edited by Enthusiast, 17 November 2006 - 07:00 AM.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:28 AM

You'll have to locate this file: WER9a53.dir00\Mini111606-08.dmp and then follow the steps at the link I posted earlier ( http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 )

This will give you a report that you can post here.

There is a chance that this file was automatically deleted when the error report was sent to Microsoft. If so, you can search your drive for other .dmp or .mdmp files - or you can wait for the next error and save that file to another location before sending the report

#8 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:31 AM

Microsoft ® Windows Debugger Version 6.6.0007.5
Copyright © Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Loading Dump File [C:\Documents and Settings\user\Local Settings\Temp\WERa30a.dir00\Mini111606-08.dmp]
Mini Kernel Dump File: Only registers and stack trace are available

Symbol search path is: C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\sym\ntoskrnl.pdb\32962337F0F646388B39535CD8DD70E82\ntoskrnl.pdb
Executable search path is:
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Windows XP Kernel Version 2600 (Service Pack 2) UP Free x86 compatible
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Kernel base = 0x804d7000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0x8055a420
Debug session time: Thu Nov 16 22:48:31.312 2006 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 7:52:15.863
Unable to load image ntoskrnl.exe, Win32 error 2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ntoskrnl.exe
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for ntoskrnl.exe
Loading Kernel Symbols
..................................................................................................................................................
Loading User Symbols
Loading unloaded module list
* Bugcheck Analysis *

Use !analyze -v to get detailed debugging information.

BugCheck 1000007F, {8, 80042000, 0, 0}

ANALYSIS: Kernel with unknown size. Will force reload symbols with known size.
ANALYSIS: Force reload command: .reload /f ntoskrnl.exe=FFFFFFFF804D7000,213F80,42250FF9
***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

***** Kernel symbols are WRONG. Please fix symbols to do analysis.

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Ntfs.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Ntfs.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sptd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sptd.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for FILESPY.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for FILESPY.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7rsxp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7rsxp.sys

This is the error report given by the debugger

I changed my startup and recovery settings to not automatically restart but it still does!

Thanks for all of your help so far, let me know if you can make anything out of this :thumbsup:
music, music music...

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 06:29 PM

Try booting to safe mode by tapping F8 as your bios screen begins to post and before the Windows is Starting screen appears.

Once there use the up and down arrows to select "Last Known Good Configuration".

Let us know.

#10 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 05:51 PM

will do

music, music music...

#11 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 06:18 PM

Could it possibly be the sptd.sys system drivers? i used another diagnostic tool and it said it could be the problem.

Where can i gat a replacement for the file to check? or otherwise fix the situation?

i haven't attempted the last suggested fix from enthusiast yet cuz the system was checking itself until now.
music, music music...

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

The debugger program didn't run properly. Please rerun the program according to the instructions given. Sometimes there is a problem with the Microsoft server that handles the symbols. Also, please run the second part of the analysis by typing "!analyze -v" (without the quotes) in the blank line at the bottom of the debugger screen.

The filespy.sys file is a suspect here. See this google search on it: http://www.google.com/search?q=FILESPY.sys...lient=firefox-a

#13 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 11:16 PM

* Bugcheck Analysis *

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for sptd.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for sptd.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for FILESPY.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for FILESPY.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for avg7rsxp.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for avg7rsxp.sys

Probably caused by : sptd.sys ( sptd+14aea )

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP_M (1000007f)
This means a trap occurred in kernel mode, and it's a trap of a kind
that the kernel isn't allowed to have/catch (bound trap) or that
is always instant death (double fault). The first number in the
bugcheck params is the number of the trap (8 = double fault, etc)
Consult an Intel x86 family manual to learn more about what these
traps are. Here is a *portion* of those codes:
If kv shows a taskGate
use .tss on the part before the colon, then kv.
Else if kv shows a trapframe
use .trap on that value
Else
.trap on the appropriate frame will show where the trap was taken
(on x86, this will be the ebp that goes with the procedure KiTrap)
Endif
kb will then show the corrected stack.
Arguments:
Arg1: 00000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
Arg2: 80042000
Arg3: 00000000
Arg4: 00000000

i follwed the instructions exacty

i get this plus a bit more crap

i don't know what either of the system drivers filespy.sys or sptd.sys actually do, but this is giving me such headaches :thumbsup:
music, music music...

#14 mike b

mike b
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:23 AM

the problem seems to be fixed! :thumbsup:

i followed 1 of the links u gave me concerning filespy.sys

it seems that someone else had the exact same problem and he tracked it down to a piece o software call gigastudio made by tascam which has a system driver in it call filespy.sys!

i had gigastudio installed on my system and used to use it as a rewire device when in need of any orchestral instruments along with its associated libraries vienna symphony library.

i wiped it and all of its components off my system, rebooted and now it seems to be stable.

many thanks to both usasma and enthusiast for all of your time, efforts, knowledge and help

and much respect to everyone else at bleepingcomputer.com

i wouldnt have been able to get through this without you :flowers:
music, music music...

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2006 - 08:21 AM

Thanks for letting us know how you fixed it! It'll help others when they search for help on this kind of problem.

I dunno what caused the problem with your debugger - that's a strange readout that it gave you.

Notice where it says "probably caused by sptd.sys"? This is a great example of misleading terminology. The actual error probably occurred in sptd.sys - but it wasn't caused by sptd.sys (most likely). Rather the cause of the error was most likely filespy.sys and the way that it accessed sptd.sys.

Sorta like your car's engine not running. The error is the engine not running, but the cause can be most anything.

Edited by usasma, 20 November 2006 - 08:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users