Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Any Help?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 wisefool

wisefool

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:11 AM

Hi everone,

I have got a problem that I have been trying to solve for nearly a week now and this is my final resort. I dont like troubling you guys, but this has really got to me.

Well, the story goes like this. One day my brother was offering to buy me RAM so i opened up my computer so we can take a look at the model. When we put it back altogether, the computer wouldnt let me log onto windows.

After fiddling around, we could get in again, but when i logged onto my account, there was no sound! When I try to run volume control it just says: "There are no active mixer devices available. To install mixer devices, go to control panel, click printers and other hardware, and then click add hardware."

I did exactly that but the computer did not detect anything new.

For the past few days, ive been searching on the net and found people with similar problems to me. They recommended stuff like installing drivers, turning off and on the "Windows audio" service and I tried, but to no avail.

I checked my device manager and I couldnt see c-media or something i am pretty sure i used to have. I read somewhere that the yellow exclamation mark might be the problem but i couldnt see a yellow exclamation mark anywhere.

I tried downloading "C-Media High Definition Audio Driver" from the internet and failed and said: "Device doesnt exist or maybe removed by manually. Please plug in device or reboot and try install again"

What i think seems to be the problem is my sound card. I am pretty sure its integrated or something because I did not see it when i opened my computer. I even tried using Belarc and it says under multimedia "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device." But i am pretty sure I might have knocked it or something... Maybe someone knows a program to detect if the sound card is there?

So anyone have any ideas why my computer is lacking sound? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Wisefool

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 theguy

theguy

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:58 AM

Evonsoft SysInfo 1.26 will detect if you have an active sound card.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,389 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:23 PM

The link to sysinfo is here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/EvonSoft_SysInfo_d4871.html

Is it possible the sound card came loose when you were fiddling around inside the computer?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:12 PM

Did you unplug the computer from the wall and keep your hand on the metal of the case while poking around inside it? If not, you may be the victim of static discharge - which can easily fry components inside the case. And, you won't even feel it (I didn't when I fried my hard drive this way not long ago).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 11:35 AM

Thanks for the replies.

@Grinler: I dont think so. The card is probably integrated as I did not see one when we opened it up.

@usasma: Wow, that really matters? I dont think i did either one of those... Is there any way of finding out if my card still works and hasent been fried?

Edit: I have posted some screens of device manager and sysinfo.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by wisefool, 17 November 2006 - 11:48 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:49 PM

I didn't think that it mattered either - until I lost my hard drive with 3 years worth of data on it! (also have lost a lot of RAM - and I suspect that this was the cause also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

So is there anyway i can tell if my sound card is still healthy?

#8 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2006 - 11:36 PM

Sorry for the bump, but i really need to get this fixed :thumbsup:

Edit: Here might be another clue:

When I go to control panel, and click Sound and Audio Devices Properties, under the Volume tab, it says "No Audio Device", but when I go to the Audio tab, under sound playback and sound recording, the default device is "Modem #2 Line Playback"

Edited by wisefool, 18 November 2006 - 11:47 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:22 AM

Well, the Device Manager shot shows a Unimode half duplex audio device. I'd suspect that that is your soundcard.

Looks, to me, like it's a driver problem. So the first step would be to install drivers for your sound card. But first we've got to identify the card.

Did this sound card come with the computer? If so, what was the make and model of the computer?

Is it on an add-on card inside the computer - or is it built into the motherboard? If it's on the mobo, you can probably get the drivers from the website of the mobo manufacturer. If it's an add-on card, you may be able to read the FCC ID number on it - and we can search for that at the FCC website.

#10 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:30 AM

Yeah i think the driver is integrated into my mobo

My motherboard name: ECS 651-M v1
and its from Elitegroup Computer Systems

I got this from Everest.

Hope this will help.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2006 - 10:35 PM

Here's a link for the drivers - select the sound drivers, download and install then and let us know if it helps: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/Pro...D=0&LanID=9

#12 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2006 - 02:42 AM

Yeah I tried downloading that sound driver before. It did not work. This was what it said:

Warning
Our audio chip provides milti-speaker surround and realistic sound effects Due to the fact that your computer is not equipped with our audio chip, you cannot avail yourself to these advance features.

For more information, please contact your computer dealer

C-Media Electronic Inc.

So any ideas?

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 23 November 2006 - 07:49 AM

Is the sound chip disabled in your BIOS? Are you sure of the make and model number of your motherboard? (the reason that I ask is that some vendors will replace a motherboard with another model if yours isn't available - and this will affect your hardware).

Oh, and do you happen to have another sound card installed? If so, remove it when trying the drivers - the program may get confused when trying to identify which sound device that it's going to install.

Edited by usasma, 23 November 2006 - 07:50 AM.

#14 wisefool

wisefool
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:36 AM

No. I am pretty sure it isnt. I went to the BIOS and changed the only Audio I saw there to PCI. I saw no other config options to do with Audio. Does the PCI thing mean the audio card is there?

Again, im sorry for my lack of understanding in computers. Hope this helps :thumbsup:

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

Don't worry about knowing about computers - that's why we're here! We'll help you to figure it out - and we'll all gain experience from it.

I suspect that the option for PCI would direct the sound card drivers to look for a PCI device to process the sound (but yours has a built in chip). What were the other choices there? Perhaps one of the other choices is the one for your sound card?

The reason that this is a bit confusing is that some of the onboard chips actually work through the PCI bus - so they'll say PCI even if they aren't plugin cards. It'll take some experimentation to see if this is the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users