Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Folder Access Denied

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 james85

james85

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:52 PM

Hello,

For some reason my machine booted up this morning on its own for some unknown reason while I was in bed!! I thought nothing more of it started up a game (but there was no sound) then rushed out and left it running.

This afternoon when I returned and closed the game, the first thing I noticed was that the task bar was half hidden below the bottom of the screen (I usually have it at twice the standard size to give a full row of quick start icons).

I managed to get it back to the correct size by removing the quicklaunch toolbar - which hid the taskbar completly - and then re-enabled the quicklaunch buttons which enabled me to expand the taskbar.

Further to this, windows pauses while it starts up for 30 seconds which it never has done, all network connections have dissappeared and none of the programs that usually start with windows start - including norton.

Norton crashes on running from the start menu and Internet Explorer opens for a fraction of a secon and then it closes.

I cannot copy and paste files to my external HDD so that they can be backed up and a fresh installation of windows made.

Has anyone any experience of this problem or does anyone know what is going on??

Thanks

As an edit, I have thought of a few more things...
Folders eg. My documents do not show as normal in the taskbar.

The CPU usage is around the 95% mark continually

The machine will not perform tasks such as defragmentation!

Edited by james85, 15 November 2006 - 05:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

If you can boot to normal Windows try Windows System Restore to reset your system state to a previously working condition.

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before the problem began and follow the directions on screen.

This will not affect your data but will reverse any updates if any you may have done so you might need to do the updates again.

Let us know.

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 06:04 PM

Also, I suspect 2 reasons for this.

My 1st reason is your hard drive is going bad and...
The second reason is your computer is infected.

After doing what Enthusiast suggested you to do and if the problem still persists, then try to do a virus scan. I know you said you have problems with your Norton. But you will have to scan it with something.

If all methods above fail... your next best thing to do is to try to backup that data to another location.

But to answer you on the power up question, I've never known a computer to boot up on it's own. I'm not saying it's impossible either. I just find that hard to do because it will need to powered up manually, not unless your computer is set to "go to sleep, then wake up", .. now that can be done. Are you sure your computer isn't set that way? I'm going to research that part some more, because I don't know of any method other than pushing the power button to actually "boot" a computer. I may be wrong.. but I'll find out.. soon.

Lastly, if the computer booted up, and then loaded a game, I suspect the game as the culprit. You may need to uninstall the game. But by all means, do a virus scan, adware scan, trojan scan, malware scan, and every kind of scan you can think of.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:02 PM

Try the following on-line scan as it is a virus and malware scan as well as a registry scan:

Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Did you have a power outage occur? I have seen computers boot after an instantaneous power outage which can cause a power surge and do all kinds of deleterious things to electronics.

How do you connect to the internet - broadband or dialup?

#5 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

Power outage.. I forgot that part.

It actually happened to me this morning. It rained last night here, with lightning... actually it's still raining now. But when I got up today, one of my computers were running as normal, but the other one had the windows screen saver on, and when I moved my mouse, I was at the login screen, which indicated to me that the computer powered down, or actually got surged.

If you don't already have one, get a surge protector.

That's so ironic Enthusiast, that you should mention that, because it actually happened to me, I guess early this morning before I woke up.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:30 PM

If you live in an area (like I do in Florida) where electrical storms occur, a constant power supply (not a surge protector) is highly recommended.

It has saved my computer numerous times!

#7 james85

james85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:46 AM

Thanks for replying.... in answer to your questions

Ive lost all connectivity via any network connections .... i usually connect via a usb wireless card, wireless router and a cable modem to a broadband connection. So that takes out the online scan.

I've downloaded avg and tried that but gives me 2 errors - "windows firewall checking failed. The RPC server is unavailable. (1722)" and "Action failed for file avgamsvr.exe: starting service.... The dependancy service or group failed to start. (1068)"

Hard drive going bad - I hope not its a new build machine only 2 months old - but its not impossible.

Power outage is a possibility, they do happen here every now and again but not too often - it is connected to what claims to be surge protected not that i'd 100% trust it!

I did try system restore however it refuses to work and suggests that i restart and try again.

I've also done a memory test from the windows boot cd downloaded from their website and also taken the RAM out put it back in and even swapped it to channel B but to no avail.

First thing this morning will be to go and buy a USB Hard disk enclosure to get my data off and onto my laptop.

#8 james85

james85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:47 AM

Seems like there may be a problem with services - several things that I have tried to install will not becuase the services are unavailable or cannot be started.

I tried to manualy start the norton services however they cannot start as "the dependancy service or group failed to start" - error 1068

also in the extended tab in services, there is a strange blue rectangle displayed and no services.

#9 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:12 AM

But to answer you on the power up question, I've never known a computer to boot up on it's own. I'm not saying it's impossible either. I just find that hard to do because it will need to powered up manually, not unless your computer is set to "go to sleep, then wake up", .. now that can be done. Are you sure your computer isn't set that way? I'm going to research that part some more, because I don't know of any method other than pushing the power button to actually "boot" a computer. I may be wrong.. but I'll find out.. soon.

Wake-on-LAN
Wake On LAN
Getting Wake On Lan (sometimes called Remote Wake Up) to work

Edited by tg1911, 16 November 2006 - 07:15 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#10 james85

james85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:44 AM

Ive used Wake on Lan before but I didn't think it would work via a USB wirless card if theres no power going to it?

#11 james85

james85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:04 AM

I have removed my HDD from my machine and connected it via usb using an external enclosure due to a problem... see here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic72071.html

I seem to be able to access all of the disk apart from my documents here J:\Documents and Settings\James

I get an error saying J:\Documents and Settings\James is not available. Access is denied.

Any ideas on this one?

Thanks

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:12 AM

I'm just going to address the problems with power surges/lightning strikes here. In the past couple of years I've been the victim of several.

The surges come into your computer from several places:
1) The power outlet
2) Your internet connection
3) Alternate internet connections
4) Alternate input connections (like a cable on a TV Card)

For 1) you need a good quality surge protector.
For 2) you need a good quality surge protector that will handle your wiring for your internet connection (to protect the modem, router and PC if necessary).
For 3) if you keep another connection on your PC (such as a telephone line for a fax machine), you'll need this on a surge protector
For 4) you'll also want to protect all the devices wired to your other connections (mostly cable in your home). The best (IMO) fix for this is a cable surge protector placed where the cable enters the house - that way it protects all the devices (including TV's) connected to the cable.

My 2 most recent stories:

HOME - I installed a network in my home and had surge protection on all power plugs. Lightning hit the cable lines near to our house. The surge didn't damage my modem or router. But it did damage a Network card on one computer (it was off), a Network card and RAM on another computer (it was on), and the TV card on my system (it was off). I replaced the parts and put a Cable surge suppressor where the cable comes into the house. (more to this after the next event).

WORK - In August there was a lightning strike at my wife's office. They had surge protectors on all the systems - but none on the cable. The first strike hit the power lines and tripped the surge suppressors "off-line", the next strike also hit the power line and then had free access to the systems. They lost a cable modem, router, hard drive, 2 NIC cards, a time clock, and a DVD player - even though all the systems were on at the time only one suffered software damage that a repair install fixed. So I surge protected everything with new surge protectors that included network and cable protection, installed a separate cable protector at the entry to the building, and am trying to locate a reasonably priced whole building surge protector.

Because of the WORK situation, I've purchased new surge protectors for HOME that also include the cable and network protection - and we now have double protection on all the network connections. But, there's still the vulnerability to multiple lightning strikes to the electrical lines that we only have single protection on (the only way around this that I've found is to put 2 surge suppressors on each computer - and I may end up finding a cheap but reliable surge suppressor to add to this).

But then, what happens if I get a third lightning strike?

Edited by usasma, 16 November 2006 - 10:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:31 AM

This is because you're using another computer - and the old files are "locked" to the old computer (so even if you use the same user name and password - it'll deny you access).

Easily overcome, but somewhat of a PITA to do. If using XPHome, you'll have to do this in Safe Mode.

Right click on the folder and select Properties, then select the Security tab.
Next, click the Advanced button towards the bottom of the page, then select the tab that says Owner. Take ownership of the folder, then click OK to exit the dialog.

Then reopen the Security tab and ensure that your profile has the permissions for Full Control for the folder. (I'm doing this from memory since I'm on an XPHome system - so the directions may not be exact). Adjust the permissions to allow this (if necessary).

This feature acts a bit "cranky" when using it (has to do with the different security measures that the OS uses) - so you may have to go down to the next level of the directory structure and do the same thing - and keep on doing it until you can retrieve what you need.

(ASIDE - you can also do this by using a DOS boot disk and NTFS reader (or a Live Linux distro) to copy the files to a FAT32 disk. This will effectively strip the NTFS file permissions from the files).

Here's a link to more details on the Access Denied error messages: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/42756/how-to-fix-an-access-denied-errors/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#14 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:03 PM

I moved your post today into the topic you started yesterday, james85.

The reason is that it is a continuation of the same problem and it makes it a lot easier to understand, especially for folks who did not participate in yesterdays postings.

Please continue here in this topic instead of creating a new one daily as it will give a better chance for you to get the problem resolved.

Enthusiast

By the way - when you connected the hard drive with the usb enclosure did the computer that it is now connected to designate it the J drive?

Edited by Enthusiast, 16 November 2006 - 02:05 PM.

#15 james85

james85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:18 PM

Indeed it did, after starting my laptop in safe mode, I was able to change the folder permissions and retrieve my data.

I've now put the Hard Disk back and am trying a new installation of Windows on the problem machine, so fingers crossed, i'll let you what happens.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users