Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive - Not Found

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 overandoutproductions

overandoutproductions

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:03 AM

I have purchased a external hard drive case and have 2 different old hard drives which I want to get information from.

1st Hard Drive works perfectly. It's a 40GB hard drive, I plug it into the external case and it comes up in windows explorer with drive letter d: and all is good.

2nd Hard Drive 80GB western digital. It finds it in the device manager as a usb disk and also comes up as new hard ware as a usb mass storage device but it doesn't come up with a drive letter in disk managment.

I have tried re-starting the computer, and starting the external drive first. But it doesn seem to work

I'm running windows xp with all the updates

Is their someway to manuel label a mass storage device?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

If the 80GB Western Digital is new, you want to format the new drive using Disk Management.

Click Start, and then click Control Panel. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Computer Management. In the console tree, click Disk Management. Right-click the disk you want to initialize, and then click Initialize Disk.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:10 PM

If the disk is formatted and readable you should be able to right click on it in Disk Management and choose another drive letter. If you can't, check the drive's status to see if it's partitioned and formatted.

FWIW - if you tell Device Manager to "Show Hidden Devices" you'll be able to see all the drives that you've ever plugged into the USB ports.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users