Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Inkjet Printer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Verons88

Verons88

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:20 AM

There will be a PC fair in December at my place and Im thinking of getting a new inkjet printer (budget below $100)

Im currently using EPSON C65, which I find it's good. I like it's fade/smudge/water proof ink, and especially it has individual ink catridge (that means I only need to replace a red catridge if red runs out) comparing to my old Lexmark Z52 which requires me to buy the all-in-1 color catridge if only one color runs out. I also like the 'stop' button which can be used to cancel the printing even Im halfway thru it. (sometimes we notice a small mistake only after we pressed the print button, and normally we got to wait till the whole page printed out before we can print again the amended file) and that's a lot of ink wastage. It's CMYK color is also very close to an offset print out.

The only drawback is the text quality, which I find it not sharp enough and a bit 'fat' comparing to my older Lexmark printer which gives almost laser like text effect on black ink.

Does anyone have any good suggestions / models of printer which u have tried and gives superior result? (Sharp text, true CMYK color, saves ink, and of course - affordable)

I will be giving away my Epson printer to my son for his school works, thats why I got to get a new 1 for myself.
Regd my Lexmark printer, it's dead now. ( I killed it by using refill ink. A caution to those who are still using refill ink, be careful if u love your printer...)

Regards,
-veronica yeoh- :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 25 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

It has been 10 days since my 1st post here. Looks like there's no suggestions yet.
Well, I guess I got to stick to Epson for the meantime...
Veronica Yeoh

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 25 November 2006 - 10:56 PM

I've used Lexmark, and Epson, and I would have recommended the Epson.
The main reason being, the advantages you mentioned.
I've never had any of the problems with text, that you mentioned.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 12:01 AM

Hi Verons88.

I don't know how prices are in your part of the world, but I wouldn't go past HP. I had a PSC 1210 (printer, copier, scanner) and it worked fine for about 2 years. It is important to run off a page at least once a week to keep things humming. When I needed new cartridges which would have cost $NZ90, I bought a new HP Deskjet F380 on special which cost only a fraction more than that. Something screwy there!!! These machines are not top of the line, lightning fast, but for general work are just fine.

Never mind, the old ones get passed on to the kids. BTW: Guaranteed refill inks cost me about $NZ60 a pair for black and tricolour, so I can refill my cartridges at least 3 times. This makes it quite economic - easy but messy.

Cheers

Edited by rowal5555, 26 November 2006 - 12:06 AM.

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#5 Verons88

Verons88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 156 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2006 - 05:52 PM

Thank you so much for replying, rowal5555 & tg1911.

I've seen HP printers before, it offers superior text quality. Just that the ink cost too much, NZ$60 is close to $150 in my place. The Epson ink I'm currently using only cost around NZ$13. (but if I were to buy all 4 sets CMYK will cost abt the same to $150) but I notice the ink tank is bigger, so last longer. And as I've mentioned before, I only need to replace 1 color at a time, so I don't feel the pinch having to fork out over $100 each time I change ink.

I currently saw a new model here, Epson C79, cost around NZ$100. The ink is even cheaper.
Guess I will stick to Epson though... :thumbsup:
Veronica Yeoh

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 26 November 2006 - 11:43 PM

You're welcome, Verons88.
I'm using the Epson Stylus Photo RX500 right now.
Text looks good with this printer, but it's probably a little more expensive than what you're looking for ($230.00+ US).
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 27 November 2006 - 12:33 PM

I gave up on inkjets a couple of years back. I got a color laser printer (a Samsung) a year or so ago and it's great. I've seen them on sale for about $300.

If you go with a laser printer in the future - don't forget to price the replacement cartriges. They make the inkjet refills look cheap!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users