Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Someone Help Me With Firefox's Dictionary

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:15 AM

Hello all,

The new Firefox 2.0 is great. It's so great, it reduced my having to go back into my posts just to edit the spelling errors. If you use Firefox and don't have v2 yet, I highly recommend it. Before this version I would create my posts, copy/paste into my Word program, and do a spell check from there, and then copy/paste back into the text area of where I'm creating my posts. well, I don't have to do that any more.

But my question is:
Do you know what the codes are after the words listed in the dictionary file?
The dictionary file can be found at: C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\dictionaries.. and open it with WordPad.

After certain words there is an / followed by some letters, in CAPS. I've counted at least 6 or more codes, then I stopped counting. I think there are more though.

Can someone help me identify what they are and (or) what they mean? I would really appreciate it.

But get the new Firefox. It's better than the older versions, and this update is worth the updating.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

I have to agree with your assessment of Firefox2; with the BBCode extension it is a true Godsend for people who post here.
To determine what the various signs mean, you could always examine the source code, and determine what they do in the programme once the module is called. Or you could always ask the question in the Mozilla forums:

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38

Or the newsgroup: mozilla.dev.apps.firefox

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Walkman

Walkman
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:09 AM

Thanks jgweed, for the reply.

I'll post on those forums. I'm wanting to add my own words to it, and I just wanted to know if I would have to use any of the / coding or not.

Thank you,, and I'll post back here when I have an answer.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:17 AM

You don't need to actually do anything to the file itself, you can add new words diirectly through the GUI interface. There is an "add to dictionary" option in the drop down menu! When a word is underlined in red, cursor over it and right click to get the drop down menu. Beneath suggested alternative words (if any) is the add option.
Cheers,
John

Edited by jgweed, 16 November 2006 - 11:42 AM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users