Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Few Questions About Spam, Wireless And Security

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rifter

rifter

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:06 PM

:thumbsup:
Hello, I am a frequent visitor to this site and other similar sites especially when a trojan or other virus slips through my AntiVir and I am in need of assistance sorting the good .exe's from the bad .exe's.

I am a duty manager of a hotel in which I am also a resident. A few months ago the boss switched from an isdn to broadband from Wannado (now Orange) for his computer in reception. 3 other computers are connected to his broadband wirelessly. One is the computer which is used for managing bookings, another is in the foyer for residents to use and the 3rd is used by me. All of these are constantly connected.

Recently the company's e-mail (which is posted on the company's website) has been absolutely flooded with spam....about 1200 a day. Normally we get about a dozen a day which slip through the spam filter and there are about 50 to 80 in the spam folder.

I know there are viruses and spiders etc that can cause e-mails to become flooded with spam. Virus scans have been used on all of the computers. Norton's and Panda on the computers downstairs and AntiVir on mine. I also use SpyBot on mine. Nothing has been found.

My questions are the following:

1) What can cause this sudden surge of spam?

2) If I deny access of a virus or trojan to my computer via AntiVir can it "bounce" off mine to the other computers?

3) Can the other computers pick up viruses from my computer even though they aren't networked? The only thing they share is the internet connection.

4) This one is a different topic but I'm curious. Can the boss use his computer to see what sites I have been visiting? I am not connected directly to his computer. Just connected to his Livebox.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:52 PM

"Recently the company's e-mail (which is posted on the company's website) has been absolutely flooded with spam....about 1200 a day. Normally we get about a dozen a day which slip through the spam filter and there are about 50 to 80 in the spam folder."

What email client are you using. It sounds like more filtering needs to be done.
Is there anything about the spam that is similar? The isps they are sent from? Commonality in the messages?

"I know there are viruses and spiders etc that can cause e-mails to become flooded with spam. Virus scans have been used on all of the computers. Norton's and Panda on the computers downstairs and AntiVir on mine. I also use SpyBot on mine. Nothing has been found."

Try the following on-line scan:
Windows One Care Free Scan

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

Also try the following:
Trojan scans
Sygate Trojanscan
http://scan.sygatetech.com/pretrojanscan.html

Windows Security Trojanscan
http://windowsecurity.com/trojanscan
See instructions for it here:
http://www.windowsecurity.com/trojanscan/trojanscan.asp

Parasite scan from Aumha:
http://www.aumha.org/a/noads.php
or here:
http://www.aumha.org/win5/a/noads2.htm

"1) What can cause this sudden surge of spam?"
Mostly miscreants who profit from it.

"2) If I deny access of a virus or trojan to my computer via AntiVir can it "bounce" off mine to the other computers?"
"Bounce off"? No- but they are using the same ISP you are and can become infected the same way.

"3) Can the other computers pick up viruses from my computer even though they aren't networked? The only thing they share is the internet connection."
No- If they have no access to anything on your computer they cannot become infected by it except if your computer becomes infected and becomes a Zombie, or because of malware infection sends viruses and trojans to everyone in your address book (and/or possibly data you may have on your computer that can be ordered to be sent to the miscreants who infected you).

"4) This one is a different topic but I'm curious. Can the boss use his computer to see what sites I have been visiting? I am not connected directly to his computer. Just connected to his Livebox."

There are programs that can be installed on your computer that would enable someone to see everything you do on the computer you use.
There are also programs that can determine exactly what the internet connection is doing and which computer is doing it.
Is your computer really yours, or is it a computer owned by the business?
If it is owned by you it is less likely that a keylogger has been installed on it but if it's theirs, who knows?

#3 XPer

XPer

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Hello,

I just joined today because I have the same problem. I have 5 PCs on LAN with Satellite. Outlook "rules" are not consistent and Spambully has too many false positives. I'm also getting tons of duplicates and emails to "anyone" or any thing .myurl. What really confuses me is duplicates of good email. I use a remote server for my website & email accounts. (Morpheus Inc) I will try these programs on all the PCs then try to get a hijack file looked at.

Thanks

#4 CTH_Tom

CTH_Tom

• Members
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:43 PM

In the past few years the month of December usually sees a surge of spam.
May take your ISP awhile to get it all filtered.
X

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users