Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Doesn't Shuts Down

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rarehunter

Rarehunter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 04:46 PM

I have a problem with my laptop because sometimes after a long time of using it, i attempt to shut down windows and nothing happens, it doesn't turn off, this started happening a few time ago and I only have a month with the laptop.. please help

thanks
Rarehunter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

Hello Rarehunter,

Read this topic below. Maybe it'll help you out.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70055/windows-wont-shut-down-heres-how-to-do-it-safely/

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 05:37 PM

After you do what Walkman suggests, after you reboot twice as he instructed, if you are continuing to have the same problem and you did not have it before a few days ago:

Have you installed any new hardware or software?
Have you updated or changed any drivers?

In any case, try using Windows System Restore (which will not affect your data) to restore your system state back to its previously working condition.

Click start/programs/accessories/system tools/system restore

Choose a date from before the problem began - follow instructions on screen.

#4 Rarehunter

Rarehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:59 PM

thanks for your reples, well I haven't installed any new hardware or software, I only made some changes in the registry like the menu show delay, auto end tasks, wait to kill app timeout and clear page file at shutdown, but I changed them with a .reg file so I don't know the original values of them, well thanks again.
Rarehunter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

I'd suggest that you try to use System Restore to restore your system to a point before you made the registry changes.

Go to Start...All Programs...Accessories...System Tools...System Restore and follow the prompts.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Rarehunter

Rarehunter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:38 PM

ok thanks i'll do that...
Rarehunter

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2006 - 07:28 AM

And - unless you are completely literate in the registry - leave it alone in the future. Leave the time-outs alone, leave the page file alone after you set it up properly as recommended by Microsoft -1 1/2 times the amount of installed ram, in fact, leave all the settings you mentioned alone. You couldn't even remember what you did!

You can completely hose your system making alterations or changes in the registry that are improper. There is a reason the Microsoft engineers set them up the way they did in the first place!

The same goes for using third party registry programs. Don't use anything that alters or changes the registry unless you know exactly what you are letting them do and can reverse deleterious effects that may occur because of registry changes.

The ONLY safe ap that does impact the registry is the Windows One Care Free Scan (because it was designed by Microsoft specifically for your op system!)

Go to Windows Live Onecare Free Scan (using Windows Explorer only)
It will say "Get a free PC safety scan"
http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm

Make sure you click "Full Service Scan" in the middle of the page and
not the "Try It Now Free" on the right side.

Allow it to download the Active X components.
Choose "Complete Scan" in the window that opens
Click "Next"
Do not click on anything else that offers you a free trial or to sign up if you live in the US.

Allow it to scan - it may take quite, maybe two hours or so depending on how big your hard drive is and how fragmented your registry and drive are.

If you choose to ignore the advice above make sure you have everything you will need to format your hard drive and reinstall XP (like your Windows XP Installation cd, its 25 digit unique key code and all the drivers for the equipment on your PC, and the knowledge of how to accomplish it properly, because you will eventually need to do so by changing the way in which your op system was designed to operate by the experts who designed it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users