Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vanishing Drives

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vancreef

vancreef

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:43 PM

i have just come to burn a cd and my cd drawer would not open when i pressed the button on the front of the tower. i went into "my computer" and noticed that both my drives (CD&DVD) are not there! i have rebooted and looked again and they are still not there. everything else is there as normal but for some reason the drives have gone. this is the second time this has happened and a reboot solved the problem last time, which was a few weeks ago. any ideas you would have would be really appreciated. thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,001 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:58 PM

With you computer off disconnect the power and IDE cable, start and shut down the computer, reattach the power and IDE cords and restart the computer and see if it is recognized as a new device.

If your optical drive uses drivers you might check to see if there are newer ones available. A bad IDE cable will also produce the same symptoms.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users