Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Audio Out In Only One Channel

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 xelaw

xelaw

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 01:35 PM

I have a laptop (Win XP SP2) which has 2 speakers connected to it. Lately, I noticed that sound in the right speaker was missing. (Left channel is OK.) I took the audio amp and speakers to another PC, and the sound was fine, so it's not the speaker. If I listen to just just the laptop's internal speakers (unhook the external ones), that sounds mono also.

Investigating further (after I attached the speakers back to the laptop), I found that the right speaker didn't work (it has just a tiny hum) when I was listening to internet radio, mp3 and wav files. But it did work when listening to midi files. For all listening, I use Windows Media Player.

The volume control shows Balance set correctly, and will turn off the left channel when moved to the right. Just to be sure the problem wasn't the Media Player, I updated from WMP 10 to WMP 11. Same results. Just the left channel heard.

Anyone know what could be the reason? Is there a setting somewhere deep in Windows that somehow changed from Stereo to Mono?

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 15 November 2006 - 02:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 07:21 PM

Have you tried updating your sound adapter's driver?

#3 xelaw

xelaw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:27 AM

Enthusiast, thanks for the suggestion.

I've thought about drivers, but it's not clear to me what or why to update. Remember that midi's play in stereo, but the rest of the sound files and stuff doesn't. Is there a separate driver for midi files?

If I look at Device Manager, under "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers", I get a few devices, the most likely of which for causing problems seems to be "SoundMax Digital Audio". (Of course, Windows says that "All Devices are Working Properly" for all of them.) I suppose it's possible that the driver somehow got corrupted

I tried updating the SoundMax driver, but the Windows Driver Wizard told me that that there was nothing better to be found. No harm in trying, but no help either! Any other suggestions?

#4 Popcorn_Faerie

Popcorn_Faerie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:26 PM

Hiya. I had the same problem. Looked up solutions...found you...thought I'd let you know what i did.

Rollback driver - fixed the problem. Stereo came back. I was just about to update it again, but I thought I'd give you that It worked so far. I'll update it again and let you know how that went.

#5 Popcorn_Faerie

Popcorn_Faerie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2009 - 06:34 PM

WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

yes. it worked. I now find myself with the exact same driver as before, except with stereo.

hope you still needed the solution.

#6 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2009 - 08:58 PM

If what Popcorn said doesn't work, You might just have a corrupt driver or simething and updating should work, to find out your sound card go to Start->Run->dxdiag->Sound and the name of the driver
If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users