Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mbsa- Microsoft Baseline Security Analysis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 1Bart

1Bart

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:03 PM

Hello...

As I am an avid reader and suscribe to the ideals portrayed here at this professional and "excellent site. I need to ask this question as NOT to violate the principles set forth in this sites philosophy which I am currently enjoying its benefits(speed, security ect.). Always wanting to bolster my security and protections, I am hesitant to add any "un-useful" or "un-warranted" crap!!!!!

1- Does it actually accomplish a useful purpose. I want to avoid unnecessary "clutter" at the expense of speed reduction ect..

2- Does it "tend" to conflict with anything......

3- It claims to "automatically" install updates...Without prompting???? I have, so far, avoided installing IE7 until perhaps a future date. If I run MBSA, does it provide an option to install any or all updates or will it do it blindly.......

Running WinXP-Home SP2

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:38 PM

MSBA was designed for small businesses to use to audit the security state of their computers as well as administrative vulnerabilities (not applicable to most home computers) and is primarily a reporting tool. While it will scan computers for missing security updates, it can be configured to present missing ones for installation.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/Security/...s/mbsa2/qa.mspx

In my view this is certainly overkill for most home computers, even networked. It is easy enough to use Windows update to check for missing patch installation.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:48 PM

Thanks John!!!!

Yeah- Thought so. Went to the link already and suspected as you indicated. Also thought that the Windows update, as this site has taught me to visit frequently, would be sufficient.

ALways looking for just a little edge over "all the nasties" but counter-production must be avoided.

Thanks for your astute opinion!!!!

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:07 PM

If you have other Microsoft software like Office, use Microsoft Updates instead of Windows Updates.

The process will be similar and MS Updates will replace Windows Updates as the default, but it will also keep Office and other updatable software current.

#5 1Bart

1Bart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:35 PM

Oh Noooooo!!!!!!

I thought they were one and the SAME!!!!!!--- I have been going to THIS site and thought it was the correct and SOLE source of updates!!!!!!

http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdat...t.aspx?ln=en-us

What might the other site be?????

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users