Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabled Task Manager And View Options

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ivan9801

ivan9801

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:23 AM

Greetings,

Around last week ,my machine went nuts.Something was disabling my task manager and Windows View options.Where I contracted this infection I do not know.I use Windows XP OS ,and Firefox with java scirpt turned off for my browsing ventures and still got bombed.

I ran Spybot -S&D,Ad Aware,Spyware doctor(all freebie versions) and the EZ trust antivirus program from computer associates.Well none of em worked,and my task manger remained disabled,and everyone knows that windows without a taskmanager is like an aircraft minus landing gear.

Spybot however was able to list out a few suspicious registry entires relating to the TaskManager,but failed to remove them.So I would go in regedit and remove the unwanted entry and my task manager would be back online ...that is till I restart my machine and then its disabled again :thumbsup:

I took a print screen of all running processes from the Task Manger (having removed the registry entry) and googled out all suspicious looking processes.The culprit happened to be a 'Perzum.exe'.Having found the suckers path I did a manual delete and things are back to status quo.

My question is this,why didnt the many anti spyware programs I ran not clean this out?Has anyone else had a similar experience?

Your comments are welcome..

Ivan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 10:39 AM

Hello ivan9801

Glad to hear you resolved your problem.

Now that your system is clean you should SET A NEW RESTORE POINT to prevent reinfection from an old restore point. Any malware you picked up could have been saved in System Restore. Since System Restore is a protected directory, your tools can not access it to delete these bad files which can reinfect your system. Setting a new restore point AFTER cleaning your system will help prevent this and enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to set a new RESTORE POINT:
1. Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
2. Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
3. Then go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
4. Click "OK".
5. Click the "More Options" Tab.
6. Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

My question is this,why didnt the many anti spyware programs I ran not clean this out?

No single product is 100% foolproof and can detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security industry is in a constant state of change with new infections coming out on a daily basis. Each vendor has its own definition of what constitutes spyware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another. Thus, a layered defense using several products to supplement your anti-virus provides the most complete protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 ivan9801

ivan9801
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 04:57 PM

Thank you quietman!

Never thought of doing a restore.Plan to do just that once I get home from work.

Death to the bugs!!

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,281 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:14 PM

Your welcome. :thumbsup:
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016