Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Glitch

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 09:42 AM

Thanks (especially to Leurgy, and many others) for previous help (see long thread below re starting in Safe Mode) cleaning up a mess and freeing some 5GB on my tired old hard drive. But in cleaning thing up, a new glitch has appeared.
In Safe Mode, I tried to use CCleaner to remove three "antique" programs (Acrobat 3.0, Juno, and Napster) and the malware CarbonCopy 32. Same inability to remove the 3 antiques that I experienced in Control Panel>Add/Remove, error messages indicate lack of uninstall files, but we can address that problem later. Here's the immediate problem:

The uninstall of CarbonCopy 32 via CCleaner seemed to proceed without a problem. I then restarted from Safe, but just before desktop icons would normally appear, I got a black screen with this message in white letters (message takes up most of the screen, I've run it together here):

Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run Windows or a Windows application. The Windows registry or SYSYEM.INI file refers to this device file but the file no longer exists. If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application or its uninstall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device file try reinstalling that application to replace the missing file C:\PROGRA~1\Carbon~1\ccw32.vxd. Press a key to continue.

After pressing a key, the startup proceeded normally. I've since shut down and restarted a dozen times, each time getting that message.

CarbonCopy no longer shows on the list of stuff in add/remove so I guess this means I need a surgeon's hand to guide me into the registers or other scary places to cure whatever is causing this. Thanks in advance.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:41 AM

Posted 23 December 2004 - 10:25 AM

Update: This problem is now being addressed in the previous post. Apologies for also placing the problem here. :thumbsup:
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users